My first papier mache! I got brave and decided to build my favorite Christmas character - The Abominable Snowman (AKA Bumble).
You will need:
- Pieces of scrap wood
- Packaging materials
- Styrofoam chips
- Bubble wrap
- Masking tape
- Adhesive of choice
- Joint compound
- Carpenters glue
- Paper "clay" (see: Papier mache and paper clay article)
1. First step, building the armature. I wanted a sturdy base so I used pine for the legs and feet.
2. I found some popcorn styrofoam that worked great for toes.
3. Stuffing the body. Luckily I save packing materials!
4. More packing materials to build up his back.
5. Rolled cardboard for the arms.
6. Styrofoam popcorn to round out the elbow joints.
7. Bubble wrap to bulk up the arms.
9. Temporary nose carved out of styrofoam.