HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Translucent paper

#1 2012-11-16 03:08:08

kokopellime

Translucent paper

I did a quick search on the forum archives before posting this thread and found a answer but I wanted to get any new 'takes' on the subject.

I'm looking to make a translucent, relatively thin walled bowl that is also strong.  I saw that someone (sorry can't remember who at the moment) recommended rice paper (four layers) to a query where someone was looking to make a 'transparent' mask.  That aside, I was wondering if there are any other suggestions.  I know that art tissue paper could give some of the translucency but I wonder if it would be strong (I suspect not).  I plan on experimenting with art tissue that I have on hand and I'll purchase rice paper if you think that's the way to go.

In a related question, I assume that a clear gesso, mod podge, polyurethane or varnish finish would strengthen a thin bowl, but if you have suggestions on other ways to do so, that would be welcomed too.

So what do you suggest?

#2 2012-11-16 06:04:59

CatPerson

Re: Translucent paper

I've seen some small decorations made from tissue paper.  It depends on what you want to do, how much strength it needs, and how much abuse it is likely to get.

Maybe tissue paper with matching colored thread (long or short)?

Make a few experiments and see what seems likely to work, or not.

I can't think why someone would want to make a transparent mask... Use a mask, don't use a mask, or use makeup.  I guess my thinking is too linear...

Sue

#3 2012-11-16 07:15:39

kokopellime

You voiced the same comment about the 'transparent' mask  on that query; why would anyone want to do so.

The 'translucent' owl will primarily be decorative since it will also incorporate my use of feathers (my boidy post).  Though it won't be handled allot, I do want it to be fairly strong, hence my question about finishes.

FYI - I'm having a ball with all this PM stuff.  I make an effort to do something, create, prime, paint each day and I love it.  I really appreciate all the insights and advice that I've received from the community, present and past (i.e. archived posts)

#4 2012-11-17 19:15:38

bmaskmaker

I've played a bit with transparency as well ... Rice paper is good ... you can also play with multiple layers of waxed tissue paper -- the kind that florists used to use.  And I've had some luck with toilet seat protectors.  (Yes, you read that right ...  Hey, they're alot easier to find than florist tissue, and no one's there to see you when you take 15 or so and shove them in your bag.  : )  ).

But the most successful I've found is using varnish as the glue.  That way it saturates the paper and dries clear-ish.  I got this idea from the Ice Resin people ... because that's one of the uses they recommend for their product -- creating transparent paper.  It definitely works with Ice Resin, but I found it also works pretty well with the varnish that I use. 

Experiment and see what you find.  With varnish I can just use regular white copy paper.  And if you use something that you've written on or has print on it ... the print stays visible while the paper turns transparent. 

: )

-- b

#5 2012-11-17 23:25:34

CatPerson

Well, Beth, now that you've brought this idea up...

I found a box of tissue-like waxed paper "food dividers" at a yard sale.  They are slightly wax-coated, a little stiffer than tissue paper, and are used in the food industry for things like dividing hamburger patties and lining food trays.  It is a box of 1000  6x6" /150x150 mm (250sqft / 23 sq meters total).  These are from James River Corp (in Parchment, Michigan!) and are specifically called Crown®Waxfibre Food Dividers.

If you have a local store that sells to both the food industry and regular folks, maybe they carry them.  Around here, Cash & Carry has them, but they're only in OR, WA, ID, NV and CA.

Imagine, STEALING toilet seat covers!  (*muttering to self 'why didn't I think of that'?*)

Sue

#6 2012-11-18 18:46:02

bmaskmaker

: ) ...

Great idea ... I'll look around and see if I can find them!

-- b

Board footer