HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

A question about Paverpol

#1 2012-11-07 04:53:04

kokopellime

A question about Paverpol

I have a question (after doing a search on the forum first) about the product Paverpol and how it compares to other adhesives/fabric stiffeners.  I did see some mention of the product, but I'm still left with a question, especially since it’s a bit pricey.

Though a little off topic in terms of PM, I came across this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49g35fqu … 9g35fquWhg

It features Paverpol in creating a bowl made of Spanish moss.  It got me thinking about doing something similar and leads to this query.

In doing a little research I came across a couple (I'm sure there are more) of similar products, Plaid's Stiffy and Aleene's Fabric Stiffener and wondered how they might compare to Paverpol in terms of effectiveness. 

There is a significant price difference, these products cost less, but sometimes lower price means lower quality.

Any thoughts?

#2 2012-11-07 21:16:07

CatPerson

Re: A question about Paverpol

Doing a little detective work:

Paverpol:  aqueous dispersion of vinylacetate homopolymer.  The mfg. says it won't melt polystyrene foam (styrofoam), so it must be lacking in any serious solvents.

Plaid Stiffy:  since it is non-hazardous, they don't have to identify it, but the same ingredient is in Mod Podge (often used for decoupage, dries clear).

Aleene's Fabric Stiffener:  non-hazardous, considered a trade secret, but the same ingredient is in acrylic paints.

Elmer's Craft Bond Fabric Stiffener:  Acrylic latex compound.

All of them seem to have the same base, polyvinyl acetate, or vinyl polymer, known in PM circles as PVA.  Each of them differ a bit with an added ingredient or two, but it appears to all boil down to "trade secret" names for plain old white craft glue. 

I would also be willing to bet at least 25¢ that the only real difference between any of the above and plain white craft glue is the amount of water in it, the fabric stiffeners having less, the white craft glues having more.  Even among white craft glues, the cheaper ones appear to have more water and less glue.

Personally, I would make a trial experiment and use the cheapest fabric stiffener I could find, and see if the results would be adequate for my needs.  And if I could find a little container of the expensive type, I would try that, too (with a similar test material, so you're making a reasonable comparison).

And then use a good white craft glue and compare that with the stiffeners and see if there's any difference.

Sue

#3 2012-11-07 21:42:25

Jackie
Website

Re: A question about Paverpol

<<All of them seem to have the same base, polyvinyl acetate, or vinyl polymer, known in PM circles as PVA.  Each of them differ a bit with an added ingredient or two, but it appears to all boil down to "trade secret" names for plain old white craft glue.  >>

Sue

I was just about to say the same thing Sue!

I've tried paverpol. The makers sent me a free tub to try out for my experiment. I wasn't overly impressed with it. As soon as I opened the tub I realised it was just another jumped up pva. The same goes for Aleene's tacky glue. I do use it, but not for my papier mache. It stays nice and supple so is ideal for my dollshouse doll's clothes.

You can check out my experience with paverpol here: http://www.papiermache.co.uk/articles/w … ier-mache/ Look for the squaddie!

Love it or hate it (like marmite), pva is the base of so many glues. I still think that the very best one of all is the type of pva you get from a builder's merchants. As Sue says, a lot of the cheaper craft "white" glues are watered down. Hence the price!

Jackie

Board footer