HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Attaching "boid" feathers to PM

#1 2012-11-06 07:05:31

kokopellime

Attaching "boid" feathers to PM

I know that I am posting allot but as an enthusiastic newbie I am brimming with ideas and questions on how to execute them.  I hope that these questions benefit the community as a whole.  If it seems that I'm overdoing it, please (moderator) let me know and I'll be more discrete.

One of my projects will be a bowl constructed of handmade paper where simulated eagle feathers (imitation feathers from a turkey - it’s illegal to own actual eagle feathers here in the US without special permission) that will extend above the rim.  Another bowl will have spotted prairie hen feathers on the exterior surface of the bowl.

I figure that I could attach them in three ways: 1] hot glue them after the bowl has dried, 2] embed the quills (the eagle/turkey feathers) directly in the wet paper pulp after its draped on the mold (I'd have to elevate the mold to accommodate feather extending downward as it dries) and lastly 3] reserve some pulp and use a turkey baster to squirt it onto the quill before the paper is fully dried, hoping that it melds (this last option feels like it wouldn't work but I figure that I'd ask) .

Have any of you incorporated feathers (or for that fact twigs or other natural objects) onto or into your PM?  How would you attach such things?

As always, I truly appreciate whatever you have to share.

koko a/k/a irv

#2 2012-11-06 10:02:55

Jackie
Website

Re: Attaching "boid" feathers to PM

Post away! It is lovely to see such enthusiasm.

As for attaching feathers (or leaves or twigs or whatever) to the outside of your Papier mâché; one way would be to glue them onto the surface. When fully dry, paste small pieces of tissue paper over them and the whole surface. The objects will look as if they are "just under the skin" and will be held firmly in place.

Jackie

#3 2012-11-07 01:43:27

kokopellime

And 'post' I shall...

I'll try your idea about using the tissue paper and let you know how it comes out

Thanx Jackie!

#4 2012-11-07 04:15:24

CatPerson

I've never done that, but Jackie's idea sounds good.

Keep posting!

Sue

Board footer