HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Joining parts of paper mache

#1 2004-06-23 23:16:21

Joining parts of paper mache

I'm planning on making a big sculpture and it would probably be easier to papermache the separate parts and the somehow join them together. I was thinking of joining them with paper mache on the jiont, but think this would be a problem because if I layer on top of the join, it would be too thin and weak to hold it up, unless I layer so thick it is like a lump sticking out, and there is no way I can layer INSIDE because they are tube shapes and too hard to reach inside. I wonder what is the best way to join large pieces of paper mache together seamlessly?

#2 2004-06-27 06:36:17

Bilja

Re: Joining parts of paper mache

Hi Anthony!

I'd use a strong glue meant to glue wood. After the glue dries you can put a couple of layers of strong paper strips to secure the joint. Newspaper would not be as good as perhaps parcel packaging paper. If you put only a few layers it won't be too thick. This combination should secure you a good result.

Hope this helped.

Bilja

#3 2004-06-29 02:24:32

Jenn
Website

Re: Joining parts of paper mache

as already mentioned, strong glues like wood glue or gorilla glu will hold it together. if your pieces are thick and solid anough, you might even be able to use nails r screws, but glue would work the best.

- Jenn Rodriguez

Board footer