HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

The Crown Project

#1 2012-09-19 20:30:32

scyllac14

The Crown Project

Hello, Forum! This is an invitation to participate in a design challenge here on the PM site. Jackie Hall’s lovely bust of Princess Diana with crown got me thinking about this project.

First, a little background: one of the best parts of being an art student years ago was the inspiration that came from seeing other student's work. Most of the classes I took required that we share our portfolio in class on a weekly basis, for exchange of ideas, and critique. Working on a common theme really showcases the amazing variety of ideas generated from a single concept. So……..

Here’s the proposal:

Anyone interested is invited to design and create a crown using some form of papier mache. The design requirement is to create a wearable crown for someone you know and admire. The crown's design and detailing should celebrate the qualities of the person for whom it is made (the reasons you admire them).

Each artist who wishes to participate should reply to this thread on the forum, stating that they will submit an entry to the “Crown Project†. When you’ve finished your crown, photograph it, and upload the image to your gallery under the title “Crown Project†. All crowns should be completed, and images uploaded by April 2nd. After that date, everyone can do a virtual gallery walk by using the list of participants from the forum thread (“The Crown Project†) to see all the crowns that were created.

Please know that this isn't intended as a competition, but as an opportunity to see the variety of ideas and creativity that arise from the concept of a "crown". It could be a nice project for winter, to enliven the "dark time" in our northern clime.

Regards!  Scylla

#2 2012-09-20 02:21:43

scyllac14

Re: The Crown Project

Oops! Since this is my idea, I guess I should be the first to commit! I'm in.

#3 2012-09-20 15:24:43

Jackie
Website

Me too!

Although I have technically already made a crown (tiara), it was not my own design and was not made of Papier mache!

I think it is a lovely idea of Scylla's and I hope there will be a lot of interest.

If anyone wants to take part but doesn't have their own gallery on this site, or if they don't want or need one, please don't let that stop you having a go. We can sort something out regarding the finished photos.

We'd better get out thinking caps (or should that be crowns) on.

Jackie

#4 2012-09-27 16:10:50

scyllac14

Hi Jackie. I googled crown photos this AM and found some wonderful stuff to think about. I particularly like the Yoruba beaded crowns, but there are lots of fun interpretations! Here is a link to the photos.

http://www.google.com/search?q=photogra … mp;bih=650

#5 2012-09-30 12:55:50

Jackie
Website

Lots of inspiration there, Scylla. I've started to see crowns wherever I look now, or at least what can be interpreted as crowns.

Jackie

Board footer