HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Usage of other medium with paper Mache- Looking for feedback

Usage of other medium with paper Mache- Looking for feedback

#1 2004-02-20 09:43:10

morninghawk

Usage of other medium with paper Mache- Looking for feedback

Has anyone here experimented with other medium in conjuntion with paper mache for a desired effect.

By other medium I mean:
Glass
PVC clay
Natural objects-(rocks, tree bark, ect ect)
wood (sculpted/ carved)
Fabric
any others?

would like to know what ppls opinions are about this also.

If you have-What have your results been like?

Does anyone feel that by implimenting other materials, it makes it "crafty" and not art?
thank you
morninghawk

#2 2004-02-21 21:32:06

oobadooba

Re: Usage of other medium with paper Mache- Looking for feedback

I believe that as each piece is what I want it to be, I can use whatever I need to make it it mine and to match what I see in my head.

I've always been attracted to found objects in sculpture and collage.
I have just started three pieces (my first) that I've been thinking about for many years, representing three powerful dreams I had as a child. I've only recently realized that paper mache is the perfect medium for this project. I am including found objects, among them a pencil and some doll parts because I believe they are the best means to my end. Wether someone else considers it art or craft or just crap is meaningless. It is what it is, just what I want it to be.

If you are sqeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.-Sappho

#3 2004-02-21 22:48:16

morninghawk

thank you..
y'know that's just what I needed
thank you very much.
alicia

#4 2004-02-22 20:27:29

Vicky McElhinney

I agree with oobadooba, I dont think it really matters what you use to come up with a finished piece as long as you like it and have enjoyed making it.  I have used all sorts in my making plastic bottles, lids, raffia etc.

Vick

#5 2004-04-16 06:17:02

I've worked professionally as an artist for over 20 years and I can tell you it doesn't matter what you use to create your art. it's all good! I guess art is in the eye of the beholder. Has anyone ever heard of Howard Finster? He's an untrained artist (some of the purest forms of art come from untrained artists) and he uses everything from soup to nuts. I say if you can glue it, paint it, staple it, tie it, mold it, nail it etc. you can make art out of it! Think outside the box....amazing things can happen!

#6 2004-06-06 14:12:09

Refka

I agree with everyone else here.  I use clay, or spackle, or whatever I feel like using to get the effect I want.

#7 2004-06-13 05:48:37

Jenn
Website

i'm sure everyone's got all the ideas by now, but i'd figure i'd throw some stuff in.

- styrofoam for molds and armatures. it's nice stuff to use since you can carve it and such.
- sand mixed in with your adhesive makes great texure.
- putting objects such as wire, string, coins, buttons, beads, etc under a layer or two of mache or glue on the surface also makes neat textures.
- mache everyday items for a new look and purpose (waterbottles, cd cases, boxes, toilet paper tubes, braclets, soda cans, shoes, etc)

hope that helps!

- Jenn Rodriguez

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Usage of other medium with paper Mache- Looking for feedback

Board footer