HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

#1 2012-04-06 17:20:37

ambermac

I'm a total beginner and so far I have just been trying to get familiarised with this medium, but OH boy what fun I'm having! Just about anything in my home that doesn't move has had a layer of papier mache applied, the results so far are hilarious, but I do believe I will be able to craft something that doesn't reduce my friends to hysterical laughter.

I'm now thinking this is something that is a "learning-on-the-job" process but would be very grateful for any tips and hints for a complete beginner.

many thanks in anticipation,
Amber

#2 2012-04-06 22:46:57

dopapier

Re: newbie

Really, you only have to look through the articles and tutorials on this site, as well as any themes that take your interest in the Forum.  There is a wealth of information there.  Also you can find useful books in your library, or buy Jackie's book that is advertised on this site.

I'm a PM addict

#3 2012-04-07 05:17:20

CatPerson

Yes, there are a lot of tips on this site.

But a lot of it is trial and error:  "What if I did (fill in the blank)?"

Just experiment.  Papier mache is basically paper, adhesive and maybe water.  In the mid-1800s, companies just used paper, moisture and pressure, with no adhesive at all.

You can use practically any kind of paper, but lower grades have a shorter life, higher grades (like 100% cotton) have a longer life.  Start with the cheap stuff until you have a good idea of what you're doing.

Adhesives are mostly divided between organic types and chemical types.  The organic ones come from plant or animal sources: wheat, rice, or potato flour, liquid starch (used on clothing), egg whites, or from animal skins or hooves, or cellulose wallpaper glue (known around here as MC (methyl cellulose) or CMC (carbo-methyl cellulose) from wood and straw.  The food-based ones (flours) can attract insects, rodents and pets, and they tend to re-absorb moisture from the air if not sealed.

The most common chemical adhesive is the familiar white craft glue (PVA, or polyvinyl acetate); Elmer's is a common brand in the U.S.  There are lots of others, but most of them aren't suitable for papier mache (PM).

The biggest mistake people seem to make is they read that someone made papier mache with odd things like ground up cat kibble, fur of a kinkajou, peanut butter, etc, and think they have to do the same.  Don't fall into this trap unless you KNOW why you're adding it.  You can ignore the rules as long as you understand what the rules are, and have a specific reason for not sticking to them.

The most common sealers are shellac (non-toxic, but needs to be re-coated every couple of years), varnish, and the polymer coatings.  There are others, like wax, but you have to do your research on what materials they work with, and react against.  You don't want to ruin all your hard work in the final step.

Also, check out the ARTICLES and the TUTORIALS sections ( click under the main heading).  Jackie, the owner of this site, did a very nice article and research for waterproofing papier mache.

There is a tremendous amount of information on this website, especially in the forum itself, from people all over the world.  The GALLERIES showcase a lot of incredible talent.

Welcome to the board!  All of us are always learning here, so if you discover something interesting, be sure and let us know!  If you run across interesting work or designs at other websites, post the link here.  Jackie isn't one of those self-centered site owners who refuses to allow members to post links to other sites.  Just make sure they do have something to do with papier mache, paper, adhesives, related design, decoration, decorative materials, moldmaking, strengthening, supports, etc. 

Sue

#4 2012-04-07 23:08:29

ambermac

Many thanks to you both.

In particuliar thanks to you Sue, I have been using a very basic flour recipe that made me wonder at how it would not attract insects etc, you have explained it and while I will continue to use it on my experimental learning curve, I now know what to use if/when I feel I can start something and actually see it through to the finished piece.

I have read so much on this site, and only now I'm attempting to make something can I re-read and make sense, a bit like playing piano by ear then learning how to read music.

I intially thought I would start small but find it very fiddly so I'm going to work on something large, basic and simple. Fingers crossed!!

I appreciate that you took time to reply and hope I don't come across as being flippant, I can see there are many levels of expertise and knowledge here, the galleries are amazing.

Thanks again, and I am sure I will be posting many queries before long.

Amber

#5 2012-04-08 20:20:29

paper soup

Fur of kinkajou! big_smile big_smile big_smile ROFL!!! Now I HAVE to try it!

#6 2012-04-08 21:50:14

ambermac

Luckily I have never heard of a kinkajou and I'm quite sure there aren't any here in Belfast! But I get the point; Don't  use anything in pm your not 100% sure about. cheers again.
Amber

Board footer