HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Durapulp

#1 2012-03-30 00:51:37

bmaskmaker

Durapulp

I've been thinking about Sodra Labs Durapulp experiments ... and wondering if there's a possible at-home papier mache application.

(I think there's another post on this board about Sodra Labs, but I couldn't locate just now) ...

First let me say I'm completely impressed with them.  I love the way they're thinking about things and the way they partner to share problem solving and solutions.  Their website is: http://www.sodrapulplabs.com/#/overview/

The Durapulp stuff is project #1 ... and basically they've found that by combining wood pulp with 25% PLA, a corn-based polymer -- heated to 167 degrees C -- it can form something with the properties of both paper and plastic.  They call this Durable Pulp.

What I'm wondering is does this have possible application for a non-factory / research lab setting. 

Admittedly 167 degrees C is hot.  But not so hot it's not possible in a kitchen, right? 

It's been swirling around my head that there are possibilities here. 

Water resistant paper mache pulp or clay?  That's where my imagination is going.  Anyone else?

Here's an article that summarizes ...

http://clearmag.com/luxury/durapulp-a-w … t-plastic/

#2 2012-03-30 04:06:13

CatPerson

Re: Durapulp

What I could get of it is fascinating.  Old computers don't deal with videos very well.

167ºC = 332.6ºF, extremely do-able. I wonder if that is a general temperature, or does it need to be exact?  And I am assuming that PLA is Polylactic acid. But it does seem to have a relatively short lifespan, so I'm thinking that it is not UV-resistant.  Quite a few people visiting this website are always wanting to use PM for outdoor projects -- but even if you get the water-resistant part solved, with this stuff you still have the UV problem (for both the PVA and the paper itself).

In bulk, it looks like it costs about $1USD/lb or $3USD/kilo if you buy it by the ton, but where can you buy it in small amounts?

I guess they gave some kind of a recipe... what does it mean by 'add functional ingredients'?

"-Mix starch and water, heat to a gentle simmer.
-Beat the starch mixture with wood pulp.
-Add functional ingredients.
-Bake the batter in a hot mold.
-The features of the foam depend on the amount of water and the proportion of starch and cellulose."

WHOO-HOOO!  I FOUND SOME!  They're using it to make batting, fiber fill and pillow forms.  http://craftingagreenworld.com/2009/02/ … o-pillows/

So, could we get some of this fiber, chop it up small with scissors, mix it with our paper fiber, and heat it to form it?

Need more input on your thinking, Beth!

Sue

#3 2012-03-30 09:47:33

dopapier

Re: Durapulp

Go for it ladies.  This looks a very interesting area.  It is also an intriguing organisation of website.  In the recipe, the 'add other functional materials' is a bit tantalising.  Elsewhere, they refer to 'enzymes' which help convert the fibrous material to a paper with the strength of steel.  The paper bending and pressing looked rather like my method of bending laminate card but their material is very sophisticated.  I look forward to the results of your experiments.

I'm a PM addict

Board footer