HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

methylcellulose safety?

#1 2012-01-06 09:49:42

scush512

methylcellulose safety?

New here - been reading a ton and see you all to be very helpful.
So i'm looking for your guidance on this.
I thought methylcellulose was the answer to my "non toxic/mold resistant" needs...but I've been looking at its MSDS and it sounds dangerous! Flash fires & explosions? Do you think that this is just when the product is in it's powdery state? Was planning to use it to make nursery decor because I kept seeing that it was non toxic...but now I'm not so sure. Really confused too, because I thought it was something you could add to food to thicken it -maybe I misunderstood that somewhere...because it says not to have any contact with your skin or to breathe in any of the dust. Have you found it to be particulary dusty? I've never handled it before, but in pictures I've seen, it almost looks like soap flakes. I guess what freaks me out the most is that I would be preparing my adhesive in the kitchen, spill a miniscule amount, and then later I'd be starting up the gas stove for dinner and suddenly find myself at the center of a mushroom cloud. hahaha.

Some links to the MSDS I've been able to find

http://cdn.dickblick.com/msds/DBH_12736.pdf
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924670

What do you guys think?

Last edited by scush512 (2012-01-06 09:54:33)

#2 2012-01-06 11:39:39

dopapier

Re: methylcellulose safety?

The CMC (Carboxy Methylated Cellulose) I use is a very fine powder but is no problem.  I think there are many forms of treated cellulose, used for different purposes.  The type we advocate is used in beauty preparations, foods etc and is very comfortable on the hands. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_cellulose

I'm a PM addict

#3 2012-01-06 14:37:15

scush512

The more I look into it, the more I think that it must be mass quantities of the stuff that's capable of flash fires. And I've read conflicting info on the effect of one's skin. I think I'll take your word for it, in that you've actually touched the stuff! ha!

What about this one: http://www.axner.com/cmc-powder.aspx ?
Is that a good price per pound?
Assuming from what you said above, there are different quality types?
Can you tell what type of quality this one might be?

#4 2012-01-06 16:14:42

paper soup

Hi, not sure what part of the world you are in, but if you are near Houston, this is a great place to get both CMC and Whiting.
http://store.ceramicstoreinc.com/rawmaterials.html
If you're not near Houston, try looking up local pottery or ceramaic supply stores. A visit with the people that use it regularly could help put your mind at ease about safety and handling as well smile

#5 2012-01-07 04:59:29

CatPerson

The flash fire info is really only applicable when you  work a lot of it into the air and try to ignite it.  You would basically have to be really working at it for that to happen.

The same thing can happen with flour:  Set a good-sized fan blowing from one corner of the kitchen, have a friend dumping a bag of flour in front of the fan from above, while you wave a burning branch in the middle of the blowing flour.

The same thing will happen with fine sawdust from dry wood, like in a cabinetmaker's workshop.  They advise to attach a special vacuum to the part of the saw or sander where the fine sawdust is spit out, so it isn't hanging in the air where it could be ignited by a spark from the electrical equipment or a cigarette or cigar.

When I work with MC, I open the bag that is sitting in the box, scoop out a measuring teaspoonful, scatter it over a cup of cold water, close the bag and box, and then stir it with a fork.  No fire danger there. 

I've always used my bare hands to make my projects, and have had no problems.  Just don't try to pick up something valuable with it on your hands -- it's slippery stuff!

If you are familiar with Citrucel brand of laxative, that is mostly pure MC except for the orange flavoring.

Methyl Cellulose is usually nothing but highly processed wood fiber or oat straw, turned into an organic polymer.

You can't live without water, but if you drink a really excessive amount, it can literally kill you... look up hyponatremia.  And everyone knows that if you're immersed in a large amount of water and can't swim, you'll die, too.  Nothing is totally safe, esp in extreme excess.

That price is very reasonable, usually it costs around $22-25+ USD for 16 oz.  Just be careful to check the minimum amount you have to buy, and what they're charging for shipping.  Like on eBay, some unscrupulous sellers show a low product price and a high shipping charge.

Sue

#6 2012-01-08 00:16:39

bmaskmaker

I agree with what's been said above.  One other thing to consider with different kinds of CMC or Methyl Cellulose is the viscosity (how thick it will be when you mix it) ... or more accurately, how much of the MC powder you need to get it to the thickness you want. 

I have some (4 lbs!) MC I bought from a pottery supplier before I realized that what potters want it for is to thicken and suspend glazes -- so you actually have to use more of it to get the thickness that I'm looking for (~ egg whites) than other products I use. 

Your supplier should be able to provide some details about the CMC you're buying ... look at the viscosity / adhesive properties if you can.  (Or buy a little and experiment.)

Paper soup, how are you mixing yours?  Are you finding it thick enough for you?  (Are you using it for strips or pulp mache?) 

: )

-- b

#7 2012-01-09 02:52:28

paper soup

I use it for the strip method and in my clay (along with regular PVA). I just mix the heck out of it in hot water. I have no problems with the thickness, in fact sometimes I get it thicker than I expect, but I prefer a thick gel to begin with. I do use it a bit thinner with my clay though.

Board footer