HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » How to smooth this papier mache helmet?

How to smooth this papier mache helmet?

#1 2011-10-25 11:08:19

supremeoutcast

How to smooth this papier mache helmet?

Hey guys,

I'm new to the whole papier mache thing so please excuse my ignorance!

I wanted to know if any of you had any suggestions for how I could smooth - or generally improve - this papier mache helmet:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/elmet.jpg/

An image of what it's supposed to look like can be found here:

http://images.wikia.com/bleach/en/image … pshot3.jpg

I've heard that sandpaper can be used to smooth out the bumps but I wasn't sure if that would be best for this design or not. Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 2011-10-25 13:23:48

dopapier

Re: How to smooth this papier mache helmet?

Yes, sandpaper will help a lot.  Use a fairly coarse one just to take off the main peaks and then a fine one.  Another method for finishing is to paint an area with past, allow to absorb and then run over it with the back of a spoon.

I'm a PM addict

#3 2011-10-25 16:04:15

Patraw
Website

I agree that sandpaper is probably your best bet.  I prefer emery boards myself, but I work on a smaller scale.  The shaft of a heated woodburner, pressed and run along the surface of your sculpt, can also work wonders.

Ultimately, the best way to deal with bumps is not to make any to begin with.  If you apply a strip of paper and it results in a bump or ridge, rip it off and reapply it until it lays flat and smooth.

#4 2011-10-25 23:55:43

CatPerson

Yes to both comments above.

And it IS easier to prevent than to sand!  The next time, use smaller pieces of paper so folds don't form when they're going around curves.  And burnish each piece down firmly with the back of your fingernail or the bottom of a metal spoon.

Also, when you've got most of the lumps smoothed down, you can help to disguise minor imperfections by coating with several layers of acrylic gesso. Maybe sand a bit after a few coats if there are still some lumps, then add a few more coats.

That looks like it's going to be one great-looking helmet!

Sue

#5 2011-10-26 21:30:20

supremeoutcast

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm not getting very far with the sandpaper method but I did come across some acrylic gesso in a craft shop earlier, so perhaps I'd be better off trying CatPerson's approach to create the smooth finish I need?

#6 2011-10-27 00:14:34

CatPerson

You've got too many lumps to depend on just the gesso.

Are you using a piece of wood under the sandpaper? If not, find a small block of wood. Mine is a 3.5" long piece of 1x2.  I just wrap the sandpaper around it and start sanding. Just fingers and sandpaper take a looooooooong time!

Starting with a coarse sandpaper and working to a finer type might be good.

Sue

#7 2011-10-27 17:48:06

bmaskmaker

Also a dremel tool, if you've got one lying around, can really speed up the process.  Be careful with it, it spins so you can end up sanding down a ridge and find that you've created a little dip.  But for the kind of bumps and ridges you've got, it's the fastest thing I know.

#8 2011-10-27 18:54:49

erikatakacs
Website

A thin layer of pulped paper over the helmet would make it look better and stronger imo. There's a bit of work involved, but sanding can be very time consuming as well. I get fairly smooth surfaces by making a soft pulp, as much lump-less as possible. When it's semi-dry I go over it with a dampened flexible tool to smoothen it more. This way you can really cut back on sanding time. I guess you gotta put in the time regardless what method you choose, that's the bottom line. Nicely done helmet btw.

#9 2011-11-03 14:30:15

MirandaRook

Take a stanley knife or a scalpel knife to it and cut the worst off before commencing with the sanding... if you cut so much off that it leaves a hole you might papermache a bit from the inside and let it dry before continuing with the sanding, after sanding mix a bit of plaster of paris with pva glue and brush over quickly as it sets fast, when dry- sand again, should be fast but very dusty.
good luck
Miranda

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » How to smooth this papier mache helmet?

Board footer