HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Papier Mache Lego head

#1 2011-09-29 21:48:52

ssuzuki

Papier Mache Lego head

I have not used papier mache in years and need some advice.  My 5 year old son would like to be a lego guy for halloween.  Getting the head to be the right dimensions yet not too heavy is a problem.  My idea is to use this, http://www.amazon.com/Blip-Toys-Lego-So … B004E7T2SQ as a mold for the papier mache.  It is the right size, hard shiny, plastic and very heavy.  I was thinking of wrapping it in foil, then duct tape, then papier mache.  Once dry, would I be able to cut a slit up the back and open the papier mache up enough to get it off the mold?  How flexible is the papier mache once dry?  Or should I do one half of the head at a time and then duct tape the two sides together?  Any advice, ideas, opinions are welcome!  Thanks in Advance!

#2 2011-09-30 03:28:04

CatPerson

Re: Papier Mache Lego head

You could use the foil, masking tape and papier mache as you planned.  I would cover the whole thing with a couple of full layers of papier mache and let it dry, then use an Xacto knife or box knife to carefully cut it in half, up from the bottom, across the top, down the opposite side.  IOW, from ear-side to ear-side.

I'm not exactly sure... are you planning to use the piece as a whole-head cover, or just part of it as a mask for his face?  Measure before you start, to make sure it will cover the area that needs to be covered.  If it needs to be lengthened, you need to know before you start.

So, if it's a whole-head mask, are you planning on having the entire bottom open so it just rests on his head?  That would be the easiest. 

After you cut it in half to get it off the mold, you will need to make the holes for the eyes.  An Xacto knife would do the best job.  Put small holes in first, fit it to his eyes, then gradually enlarge the holes, fitting it several times to get it right.

Then tape the inside with more masking tape to fit it back together, then add several more layers of papier mache so it feels sturdy enough.

The smoother you get each piece of paper laid down, the smoother the final result will be.  You'll probably still have to sand it a bit, but not as much as if you hurry with it.

You may want to put some soft elastic inside that holds the mask securely to his head, catching the elastic under his chin.  It will keep it on if he is bouncing around, and if the wind is blowing.

Sue

#3 2011-10-03 04:53:33

ssuzuki

Re: Papier Mache Lego head

great ideas Sue, thank you so much!  I'm going to give it a shot.  I was thinking of making a foam pad across the forehead part of the inside and then one in the back to kind of keep it in place....think football helmet padding.  But I think the eleastic is a good idea or addition.  Thanks again!  Samantha

Board footer