HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Stage Props

#1 2011-06-28 17:33:53

scottfxx

Stage Props

I am building a large puppet play and have decided to control costs by building many items out of paper mache. I have extensive experience both as a fine artist and a puppeteer but have only ever used PM for small works, masks and such. One item on the list is a tall sign post, of the sort seen in M*A*S*H with all sorts of cities names painted on arrows in all directions. I would like this to be a base of cardboard with PM over top (with commercial archival wallpaper paste as the adhesive), painted in a commercial primer and finally painted in acrylics with a final satin top coat. Here's the issue- this needs to last! So what is my best option for an archival newsprint material as the PM layer, and is there a way to make the cardboard skeleton archival as well? Or, since I am using a latex house paint formulated to block mold and such as a primer, shouldn't this make the sculpture last for a long time anyway? Thoughts??

#2 2011-06-28 17:40:23

dopapier

Re: Stage Props

It needs to last?  Like a hundred years?   If it is only for twenty years, you don't really need to bother about archival.  Damp is the only thing to worry about but thorough drying and painting should obviate that.
Can you get the thick cardboard tubes that come with carpets and vinyl?  If so, they would make a good starting point for the post.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#3 2011-06-29 12:03:08

antoniag

I agree with dopapier - if stored & handled with due care, p-m will last for ages.

I'd suggest coating the cardboard skeleton with PVA (let it dry thoroughly) and then carry on with paper, but rather than use newsprint/similar (chances are it's already been recycled several times so the fibres are softer) I'd go for letter quality or photocopying paper - or even lining or woodchip wallpaper, depending on the finish you want.  If you're layering, let them soak in a firm paste solution (not too much water) and they'll follow simple contours well enough and dry to a good strong consistency. 

Your paint and varnish solutions sound fine (I've used those many times with good results, even outdoors, although if you're planning to keep it for several years you'll know the varnish has a tendency to yellow) but would advise you don't use PVA as the last layer before painting.  I've found emulsion tends to skid off it, which is not a problem with wallpaper paste.

#4 2011-06-29 22:03:58

CatPerson

Yes, newspaper is just about the lowest quality paper you can get, and the farthest from archival.

And take care to include a steady base into the design.  Many people add it as an after-thought, when attention from the beginning should have been the plan.

Another possibility for the base is PVC pipe. If you go that direction, consider the perforated type.

Sue

#5 2011-06-30 15:11:38

scottfxx

Thanks for the replies- I will take this all into account! No it doesn't have to last 100 years, but a decade wouldn't be so bad. I agree with the drying issue, the moisture always seems to be the biggest issue with other projects. I have a whole year to do this so theres plenty of time.

Board footer