HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Best drying method for pulp

#1 2004-01-24 10:01:55

Alfie

Best drying method for pulp

Hello, just a quick question; I use pulp and find that although it comes out of moulds beautiful and smooth, as soon as it starts to dry it gets uneven.  How can this best be avoided, and (I feel sure you can't) can you dry pulp in a microwave?

#2 2004-01-24 17:42:42

Re: Best drying method for pulp

just a quick question; I use pulp and find that although it comes out of moulds beautiful and smooth, as soon as it starts to dry it gets uneven. How can this best be avoided, and (I feel sure you can't) can you dry pulp in a microwave?

#3 2004-01-25 09:19:31

Garry Slack

Hi there!
The Gargoyle and Neptunes' Lantern in my gallery were both made using the pulp method and both took ages to dry out!  The Gargoyle in particular spent a long time living in the airing cupboard and, as he was made during the summer, a great deal of time drying in the sunshine! In between times both pieces were also helped to dry using a hairdryer.
The biggest problem was that bits would often fall off whilst the sculpture was wet and also both pieces were very heavy while wet!
I dont think I would recommend using a microwave to dry pulp because of the risk of fire!
Hope this helps!
Regards,
Garry

#4 2004-01-25 13:38:04

Alfie

Thanks Garry - I love working with pulp but you do need patience, don't you? (Which I don't have much of!)   The thought of waiting a whole summer for stuff to dry is beyond me, still they were pretty big projects, I suppose?

#5 2004-01-25 15:14:48

Garry Slack

yes Alfie , you are right! they were big projects but  I find the best way is to work on other smaller projects at the same time so you can allow one to dry while working on the other.  (I dont' have a lot of patience either!)
I'm currently working on another "Scorpion type Gargoyle" while also finishing off "Neptunes' Lantern" and Planning a "Sea Serpent" so I should be pretty busy for the next few months!

#6 2004-01-26 14:42:48

Karen
Website

Dry your objects in the oven (low temp) if they fit. You can also use a fan. That works very well.

karen
www.farroutart.com

Board footer