HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Papier Mache And Paper Clay

#1 2011-02-08 00:53:22

Jackie
Website

Papier Mache And Paper Clay

I've written some notes on the above topic. I would love to hear any comments you have on the subject, or any suggestions as to what you would like to see added to the article.

http://www.papiermache.co.uk/articles/p … aper-clay/

Please email me at: jackie@papiermache.co.uk

Jackie

#2 2011-02-09 03:27:14

CatPerson

Re: Papier Mache And Paper Clay

I've read about true paperclay, and Jackie is correct:  the real-clay people DO downplay the paper part!

The clay people seem to agree that adding more than 25% paper fiber to the clay makes it too weak, so that is usually the limit.

Paper fibers added to the clay do burn out during firing, leaving fine holes in the clay that make it lighter in weight.

Sue

#3 2011-03-25 04:52:36

hemi

i've also read this articles as well. and i`m 100% agreed with moderator CAT PERSON.that people use real clay down the paper part..rather paper clay is use in clay to burn out during firing....
Paper clay can be made out of any clay an artist would want to use.  Commercially paper clay is used to retard warping in clay, reduce weight of clay objects, and to lessen the cost of producing clay objects by replacing part of the clay with paper fibers which costs less.  This is a common practice in the brick making industry.

#4 2011-03-26 14:08:01

Patraw
Website

I feel that the real reason that people that use paperclay might be downplaying the paper part is because it does burn off when fired, not because they're being snobbish.  There's not a lot of point in mentioning a component that no longer physically exists, except as a bit of ash.  Likewise, if you were using a volatile solvent that evaporates, why mention it in your materials list when it's not really part of the final product?

Board footer