HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Can we switch to a contemporary forum?

Can we switch to a contemporary forum?

#1 2011-01-20 10:23:38

mavigogun

Can we switch to a contemporary forum?

The lack of ability to categorize posts serious impairs the utility of this venue; is it be possible to migrate to a contemporary forum system?

#2 2011-01-20 10:59:38

dopapier

Re: Can we switch to a contemporary forum?

Interesting idea.  I suppose it would mean adding tags to topics.  Russ, web designer is very good and responsive but also very busy.  I am sure he will consider this.
Thanks, mavigogun for including your place of origin.  It is always nice to know it.

I'm a PM addict

#3 2011-01-20 12:23:29

russ
Site Admin
Website

Hi mavigogun,

What do you mean "ability to categorize posts"? Are you referring to separate forums for different topics? We currently don't do this since message volume is relatively low. Splitting into separate forums means it's harder to keep up with what's new and generally doesn't really work - specific forums get the occasional post whilst the majority of posts are made in a "main" forum.

Or perhaps you're referring to "tagging" posts with keywords?

Russ

#4 2011-01-20 14:35:09

mavigogun

dopapier wrote:

I suppose it would mean adding tags to topics.

Tags with a sort-by-tag option would do it- and address Russ' concern regarding posts getting lost in multiple forums.   Topic labels might include "paper clay", "surface treatments"- but would need to  be limited to retain utility.   As indicated, the volume may well be too low to warrant any action.    The reads/post ratio is extraordinary.

dopapier wrote:

Thanks, mavigogun for including your place of origin.

There is a diction variance between the user profile page and the post tag- location/from, respectively; for me, it only works if you read it as "posting from".   It's a case of "an American sculptor in İstanbul".

#5 2011-01-20 18:00:43

Patraw
Website

I think the forum is quite adequate in its current form.

#6 2011-01-21 02:11:33

CatPerson

I hope you don't mean breaking it into separate topics, like paper, glue, methods, etc. 

There's too much spillover from one subject to another to make that feasible, IMO.

"The reads/post ratio is extraordinary."

Maybe they're finding what they're looking for via the Search option?

Sue

#7 2011-01-21 09:16:52

antoniag

I'm happy with the forum format as it is - if I need something specific I use the Search.  Many of the threads cover a wide range of aspects which would be difficult to categorise and I've picked up all sorts of information from following conversations that I would have missed if they had been filed under a heading that might not attract my interest.  It doesn't take long to scan through the new threads - I'm not sure adding tags would be worth it as people like me usually forget to use them!

#8 2011-03-18 04:35:57

Rhyan

I love this site the way it is. I have joined and left a lot of the type of forums you have mentioned. I like that I can come back time and again its all the current stuff is right there on the first page and I can just read whats up but if I want to keep going I can. keep up the great work Russ. thanks for a great place to just sit and talk about what I love.

#9 2011-03-18 07:48:21

mavigogun

Rhyan wrote:

I like that I can come back time and again its all the current stuff is right there on the first page and I can just read whats up but if I want to keep going I can.

It is a common forum feature to display those posts with recent activity on the category list page; likewise, viewing options typically include listing unviewed or new posts.   It is not a mater of one or the other.

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Can we switch to a contemporary forum?

Board footer