HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Good day! And a question!

#1 2011-03-09 13:07:42

Stanislaus Rowley

Good day! And a question!

Good day. My name is Stanislaus Rowley. I am from Slovakia, but just went to Hackney in London to live with mother, who is very old.

What little money is spent on newspapers, but she has only one old chair and a broken table. My question is: Would it be possible to secure a fixed chairs and a table of paper matter? Strong enough sit during the meal times. I am glad to sit on the floor the rest of the time!

We have a lot of newspapers!

Thank you

Stanislaus Rowley

#2 2011-03-09 20:25:55

dopapier

Re: Good day! And a question!

An inventive idea and you may get some replies that say it is a possibility.  However, I would suggest that you have to be quite advanced in the craft before you could even begin to consider such a venture.  The danger of collapse would be quite high and I don't think you would want your mother to take a tumble.  Best to look at wood and strong glues.  Alternatively, you might look at http://schmulb.com/indexen.htm and see what can be done with cardboard.

I'm a PM addict

#3 2011-03-10 10:57:53

mavigogun

Mr Rowley,

See this video of Debbie Wijskamp's method for making furnishings from paper pulp- a drill, hand saw, and one simple form are all the tools required; make a few test pieces and vary the method appropriate to the adhesives available to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgyXvO75 … cker=False

Alternatively, you could make something monolithic from laminated sheets, or bale tightly bundled news papers with wire... innovate!    Keep in mind: an expert is just somebody that has done something you haven't; limiting yourself to what others have done will only get you as far as they have dared to go.  Creation is an adventure; success depends on your willingness to fail, then persevere.

Be sure show us the results of your effort.

Last edited by mavigogun (2011-03-10 11:11:42)

#4 2011-03-10 12:04:52

dopapier

That's a really interesting link.  I would prefer to do a strength test before sitting on it but, as you say, reinforcing with wire (or wood) could overcome any weakness.  I like your last paragraph philosophy!

I'm a PM addict

#5 2011-03-10 21:19:58

Stanislaus Rowley

I am glad to see this link! I did not know things like this could exist. Fortunately, today I found a chair in the skip. It is strong for me.

However, mother asked me, to find a new ashtray. It is possible to make from paper? With a glazed exterior? There must be no limit unless we make limit ourself!

I would like to see a link on the ash tray if possible.

Thank you

Stanislaus Rowley

#6 2011-03-11 10:43:59

dopapier

Best to stop smoking.  Paper pulp would last quite well.  It would get very stained and have singe marks but there is little chance of it burning, provided it is very compact.  Varnish etc. would be no use.
Save on the cigarettes and buy something really nice.

I'm a PM addict

Board footer