HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

soggy mask problem

#1 2010-11-29 21:21:06

daveystarr

soggy mask problem

Hi. Help needed!!! I'm new to papier mache and I’ve had a go at making a mask over a clay sculpture covered in plastic wrap. I used the classic newspaper and flour mix to try it out. I applied about five layers of paper. When dry, the mache was fantastic and really hard. I removed it from the clay. I wanted a smooth finish, and I saw somewhere a suggestion of coating the surface with a paste mixture of 3/4 joint compound, 1/4 pva and a touch of white acrylic to make a ground. I did this and it was looking good. After a couple of minutes the mache started to go soggy and curl up round the edges and all my hard work was deforming away! Should I have coated the mache with PVA first to seal it? Any advice as to what I may have done wrong would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2010-11-30 03:23:54

CatPerson

Re: soggy mask problem

The only thing I can think of is that you applied too much of the coating at once, and the paper absorbed too much moisture.

When applying sealers or paint to papier mache, apply it lightly, in a thin coating.  Wait for it to dry thoroughly, then give it another coat.  Repeat as needed.

Some adhesives (esp the organic food types, like wheat, rice and potato flours) tend to be hygroscopic, and can absorb moisture even from the air.  In very humid conditions the paper mache can get quite soft and limp.

Sue

#3 2010-11-30 07:58:17

Pelletor
Website

Re: soggy mask problem

Hi daveystarr,

I have used that exact recipe on several PM projects but never on a free standing piece like your mask. It has always been used on projects with an internal armature of some kind for shape and support.   I’m guessing Sue’s suggestion of a smaller amount for each application would help and perhaps placing it back on the clay sculpture covered in plastic wrap for support might also help. 

Not sure if this would apply in your application but I always use a fan to shorten the drying time.

I’m in the middle of using it now on a project that is a combination of newspaper/paste and PM clay and have put on 3 application with sanding in between for a nice smooth finish.

Bob C.

Board footer