HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Making hands.

#1 2010-10-28 02:11:16

burrumgirl

Making hands.

Can anyone help me with making hands. I have tried rolling bits of paper, (too thick/thin or flat to shape);  covering wire, (looked like something belonging on Stolloween's site); and actually moulding out of mash, (not an easy task and quite brittle till they dry then hard to adjust or correct). Nothing seems to look delicate or realistic (credible) enough.  Maybe it's a case of practice, practice, practice, but any help would be appreciated.

Also just out of interest, has anyone else tried to dry strips over a styrofoam base in the microwave? I can tell you that the foam expands,( I only had it in 30seconds) then goes back to  normal  once removed from the oven and the paper strips have cooled  (some come unstuck too from the expansion).  The strange thing is the styrofoam becomes soft, ( not melted just squeezable) and not rigid as usual. I don't yet know if this is a good thing or not, but it can be squeezed and taped into a rounder form than cutting it when rigid. PS It wasn't heated long enough to create fumes or anything like that and it didn't melt.  Also this is the packaging stuff we call styrofoam in Australia,  not the stuff that is used in flower arranging that I think some other countries call styrofoam.
Thanks, Lesley.

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#2 2010-10-28 04:47:04

CatPerson

Re: Making hands.

How large are the hands you want to make?  Lifesized?  Tiny?

Styrofoam gives off a toxic gas when heated -- be careful.  And if you're doing it, get a second-hand microwave to do it in, don't use the one you use for food.

Sue

#3 2010-10-28 05:46:07

burrumgirl

Hi Sue, the hands are roughly 2.5 - 3 inches from wrist to tip of finger, but  I am looking at a reasonably easy method that can be adapted for all sizes.

Thanks for your warning, I can see that it is actually a silly thing to do now. However I don't think the styrofoam was in long enough to cause any problems, just in case though I don't intend to test this method any further in the microwave.
Thanks again, Lesley.

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#4 2010-10-28 09:54:22

Pelletor
Website

Not exactly sure what your goal is?  Do you want a piece to be posable when finished like a jointed puppet hand or posed “properly"  then finished.  I’m guessing you want it posed "right" and kept that way when finished.

I find hands difficult to draw and even more difficult to sculpt, as least for me.  My attempt is on my web page with a step by step description but there are many examples on line. I used a cardboard trace of my hand for the palm shape and stiff plastic tubing for the fingers that made them difficult to mold and shape so I don’t recommend that. Also I was after a scary Halloween style so it was an easier task then making an accurate “life like" piece but you’re right practice and experience count for a great deal.

My next attempt would be with wire fingers wrapped in aluminum foil that is then covered with masking tape, the cardboard palm worked well so I would use that technique again.  The wire, foil and tape combination would allow a large degree of control over shape, size (thickness/contour) and position (posable) before PM strips or PM Clay is applied.  Finishing hands is yet another entirely different set of skills I need to work on but I found it to be a fun and challenging project.

Bob C.

Last edited by Pelletor (2010-10-28 09:56:16)

#5 2010-10-28 10:27:11

dopapier

Hi Lesley
Hands are a real challenge.  I have been reasonably successful with some as small as 1". 
For the armature I used copper wire from electrical cable.  Electricians throw away a lot of this stuff and we only need short lengths.  I marked the lengths for each finger to at least the wrist on a piece of card and cut the wire accordingly.  (You can cut longer pieces, which then blend into the arm and make for a stronger union).

Next came tiny pieces of masking tape, sufficient to wrap round tight, overlapping itself to give a grip.  This must be good quality stuff which really sticks.  Then I cut a card shape for the main hand and hot glued the finger bases on to it.  The angle of the thumb is critical if it is to look real.  I'm sure you realise that it protrudes into the third dimension.

Next comes the covering and I use laminate.  I would not use pulp because it could not be fine enough at this size.  Newspaper would be much too thick.  In fact I use the Nives Cicin-Sain method (see her e-book or the article on this site on making a dramatic flower).  This uses cheap toilet paper and you can create really tiny laminates that can be sanded when dry or remoistened and smoothed with a spoon or spatula.
Good luck
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#6 2010-10-28 15:24:30

Patraw
Website

There are two main approaches I usually take to making human/humanoid hands.  I don't use an armature/framework of any sort.

For the first, I construct a simple, solid mitten shape, and then cut the individual fingers free and then further develop them.  This is often the method I use for making fists/gripping hands as well; I just roll the mitten into a fist shape and then add further details.  If you want the hand to hold something (usually a weapon in my case), temporarily roll the fingers/thumb of the mitten around a thin cylinder of some sort (I usually use a sewing needle or paper clip) to create the gap that the handle/item will slide into.

In the second approach, I sculpt the fingers individually and then attach them to the 'main body' of the hand itself.  This is more time consuming, but allows for greater flexibility/complexity.

Sometimes I'll combine aspects of both, depending on the hand/finger positioning I want in the final sculpt.

#7 2010-10-28 22:10:43

burrumgirl

Wow, thanks so much for your help.  As I have never used foil as an armature, that will be my first go, thanks Bob, followed quickly by the wire and laminated toilet paper method. ( I haven't read the tutorial you suggested David, but will be doing so today) I am thinking of a mixture of these two (foil and laminate) as well.

And Mark, I have seen your tiny figures, and to make hands that small and realistic, you must be onto something.  So I will also give your method a shot too although I am not the brilliant sculptor that you are and making a mitten shape out of mash and then refining it, will be a challenge for me.

Anyway I will try all the methods you have suggested, and take heart in the fact that I am not the only one that finds hands hard to master. (I will be like Jonty, experimenting with all the methods, lol) Thanks again, I will let you know how I get on.
Lesley.

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#8 2010-10-29 05:53:26

CatPerson

This just an idea that popped into my head while reading these posts... no guarantee of workability!

What about laminating paper with a water-soluble glue to about half the thickness of the size hand you want (including some wrist), letting it dry flat, then drawing the basic hand on it and cutting it out with an Xacto knife or razor.

Then dampen it slightly so you can curve it into a natural position, dry it again, and then add toilet paper to build up the thickness.

Sue

#9 2010-10-29 07:21:58

burrumgirl

That sounds like another great idea I will add that one to my list Sue, I will keep you posted as to the results. Thanks.
Lesley.

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#10 2010-11-21 23:58:58

burrumgirl

For anyone interested Jonty has a good creepy hand tutorial at his site. Although it is not the hand I am after, it is a good technique to work with. It is at www.darksidecreations.blogspot.com. Scroll right down to nearly the bottom of the page for all his tutorials or simply go to Youtube and put in "darkjonty2". Should get you there. Thanks to you all for your help, still experimenting with all your great techniques.
Lesley

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

Board footer