HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Brilliant website

#1 2010-11-05 08:59:38

Trevsweb

Brilliant website

Just found this website looks like a very useful resource.
I will be making a (almost) full mask for a cosplay event.
decided that paper mache is my best and cheapest option.

looking for tutorials to get almost a marble smooth finish.
my mask will be rounded (see link)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nLkS7Y5pjXM/T … w+mask.png

colour still up in the air but hoping i can move away from the typical paper mache look and get a real smooth finish.
i'm assuming a finish like that will need sanding... is that possable with paper mache?

thanks for any help or quick pointers, i hope to be learning alot, posting alot of WIP images and helping future maskateers tongue

cheers

DOH just noticed i put Billiant hmm not a good start. Supposed to be Brilliant

Last edited by Trevsweb (2010-11-05 09:08:35)

#2 2010-11-08 01:21:18

CatPerson

Re: Brilliant website

Billiant... Brilliant... what's an r more or less between friends???

Yes, you can sand papier mache once it's thoroughly dry. 

But if you can smooth the wet PM well as you go, you'll have to do a lot less sanding.

For the final finish prior to painting, try applying multiple coats of acrylic gesso.  Here's some general info on it:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gesso

Gesso accepts all types of paint.

Be aware that if the inner part of your mask is left as unfinished papier mache, it will absorb body moisture and sweat.

Sue

#3 2010-11-08 17:50:51

Trevsweb

excellent thank you for your help, i read in another post that gesso is pretty pricy. but if its not too bad for this single use that may be an option.
was hoping to seal the whole mask with some sort of varnish/laqqer to make it weatherproof or sweatproof.

#4 2010-11-09 04:36:56

CatPerson

Acrylic gesso isn't nearly as expensive as the old-style gesso, where you have to buy the individual ingredients and mix them together properly, and then the glue keeps absorbing moisture after it is applied, and it tends to crack .

Just poking around online, 8 oz/236ml of acrylic gesso is about $11USD, £12.21 in London.

If this mask is something you want to use long-term, repeatedly, use marine varnish.  Now, THAT'S expensive!  Know anyone with a boat?

Sue

Board footer