HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Spray starch?

#1 2010-11-05 19:18:03

WillowleafArtistry
Website

Spray starch?

I've been reading that it is possible to use simple liquid starch as the binding agent for paper mache, but so far haven't found any.  Would it be possible to use starch from a spray can instead, as that seems to be the norm in stores nowadays?  Or am I dumb and they're one and the same thing? tongue  Thanks!

War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left.

#2 2010-11-08 00:38:58

CatPerson

Re: Spray starch?

I think that the liquid starch and the spray starch are probably the same thing (as long as it isn't labeled 'sizing'*), but the spray would be much more expensive.  The main brands of liquid starch in the U.S. are Vano, Sta-Flo, Niagara, Faultless, and Linit.  They are all cheap, cornstarch-based, but with added ingredients to prevent them from molding.  Liquid starch lasts FOREVER!  Really!  Guess how I know?

If you know any hardcore quilters, ask them, most of them use a lot of starch to shape their fabric pieces.

If all else fails, you can make your own starch, but it turns bad after a couple of days, so only make what you can use in a day or two. It might last a day or two longer if you store it in the refrigerator, but it will get thicker, too.  This recipe is for fabric, so feel free to adjust it for your papier mache uses.

Make Your Own Starch Recipe:
* Put 1.5 cups of water (350 ml) into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
* Dissolve 2 or 3 teaspoons (10-15 ml)  of cornstarch in 3 tablespoons (15 ml) of cold water in a cup. Keep mixing while waiting for the water to boil. DO NOT add powdered cornstarch directly to boiling water, or all you'll get are tiny cooked dumplings!
* When the water is boiling, add the cornstarch mixture to the boiling water and stir for a minute or so. The liquid should be clear or slightly cloudy.
* Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.

* Sizing is often starch mixed with a plastic base for use with ironing polyester-blend fabrics, because starch doesn't stick well to polyester and other plastic fabrics.

Sue

Board footer