HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » whats your favourite paper mache method and why?

whats your favourite paper mache method and why?

#1 2010-07-27 14:08:22

rosielee

whats your favourite paper mache method and why?

whats your recipe and why do you use it and why does it suit your way of working? do you strip it or pulp it- what paste is your favourite- i know there is a gallery on this site- but any photos would be good to illustrate what you mean- if you can upload them or links.
this is an educational topic!

#2 2010-07-27 15:45:39

Patraw
Website

Re: whats your favourite paper mache method and why?

I use undiluted white glue (usually Elmer's brand, although it doesn't really matter) and only apply a thin layer to one side of my newsprint paper strips.  I also use the glue itself as a sculpting material (squirt a bit into the palm of your hand and then knead it until it becomes a sticky, clay-like substance)--likewise the dry glue that sticks to your fingers is also a valuable sculpting material, although most people just peel/wash it off and throw it away.  I also mix the glue with tissue paper to make a similar substance which I like to call 'Kleenex putty'.

#3 2010-07-27 16:06:06

rosielee

it said your website was unavailable? i tried to see your website to see what you mean- especially about this glue being used on its own.

#4 2010-07-27 16:07:47

rosielee

i get it- its the computer characters isnt it- nice one

#5 2010-07-27 16:14:56

rosielee

its good to be a geek Mark, i fully endorse geekyness- because its a sustained interest- and we have no control over the things that interest us- and its also (amongst other things) a million times better than having no interests at all and having an empty brain.
its like my current fixation with paper mache bowls- who knows where these things are from- my son likes trains and is a train spotter- and his geekyness is fully supported by me- infact im proud of it.

i think my favourite method is going to be using aper mache in strip form- love to see those layers build up-although id like to make a cat sculpture standing on all fours with its long tail in the air- like when a cat gets scared and starts to fuzz up- that position- ive got some wire, glue and paper, dont know how to start- whether to make it in one piece or little and fix them together- i only wanted to make a small one

#6 2010-07-28 00:10:04

CatPerson

I prefer strips because I seem to have trouble with pulp.  I find it harder to handle.  But sometimes it is useful for surfacing (like plaster on a wall), especially for things with a textured surface.

My biggest problem with pulp is that it can go on as smooth as cream, but when the adhesive dries, there is a kind of pebbly texture to it.  But when I use pulp, I usually use cellulose.  I don't really care much for PVA white glue, but maybe PVA and pulp work together better than pulp and other adhesives.  It's on my list.

Always keep in mind that there are different methods to suit different designs, textures and needs.  There are no real rules in PM.  If you want to make a form with crumpled paper wrapped with string, wrapped with paper strips and then coated with paper pulp, fine.  If you want to use paper pulp for the basic design and then apply paper strips for a smoother finish, that's perfectly all right, too.  Don't be too rigid in your thinking or planning.  Anything goes that works.

Sue

#7 2010-07-28 17:10:36

rosielee

thanks Sue- im selfishly relieved to learn someone else has problems with pulp and prefers strips- i feel i cant control strips. and the pva and pulp? dont get your hopes up! ive not found it to be a super combination- i think the success is in the hands of the person who makes it really- not in the combination- i dont seem to ba able to do well with pulp at all- but maybe thats because its just not me- maybe its not the effect im after and maybe i dont need it. I think id prefer to build up strip layers rather than add pulp- but then thats just me.

#8 2010-08-05 14:51:52

Alisha
Website

As I was new to this I started with strips and bits of torn paper then when it was dry I tried a pulp and loved it for covering the problem I had was waiting for it to dry...too impatient so I just had to start another.
My pulp was hot water and PVA with a scoop of tile adhesive powder (I have some as I am making a mosaic as well)...not sure why I thought this would be a good additive but it seemed to work ok

#9 2010-09-07 06:14:04

Technotaoist

I am a ripped newspaper strip user. I have used this on most everything, never having ventured into pulp use. For a binder my favorite is still liquid starch that I water down a bit, StayFlo brand being my current favorite. I have found it interesting that I never see anyone else using this.

#10 2010-09-08 21:19:31

CatPerson

For some reason, I tend to forget about starch.  And there's nothing wrong with it as long as you dry it thoroughly and paint or seal it. 

High humidity can be a nuisance if you wait too long between those two steps, because starch is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air).

But it's hard to beat for ease of use.

Sue

#11 2010-10-07 11:05:06

Pelletor
Website

For paper strip mache I mostly use this basic recipe:
6 parts flour
1 part liquid starch
1 part white glue
~ 2 Tablespoons of salt (for mold protection)
(Add warm water to get a thin pancake batter like mix)

I also use:
4 parts white glue
1 part water
1 part Acrylic paint (adds some weather resistance I'm told)
This recipe was used successfully for outdoor sculptures.  It also eliminated any flour so as to not appear as a source of food to insects or other hungry critters.

My "Porcelain" recipe (Hard but not translucent)
2 Parts PVA ( white glue)
4 Parts Wallboard compound
1 Part Acrylic paint
3-4 Parts Flour
This gets very thick and could be painted on vertical surfaces but is not clay like.  It  dries very hard and smooth, sands well but cracks if applied thickly. I use it to fill in dents and rough texture but may require more than 1 coat. 

Technotaoist, I tear my paper strips too but I will also use Pinking Shears close to the edge of the newspaper page to get more strips per page and find the saw tooth edge blends well also.

I also use newspaper pulp and toilet paper pulp as the application requires.

Sue, I didn't know starch is hygroscopic ....thanks for sharing that useful bit of information.

Bob C.

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » whats your favourite paper mache method and why?

Board footer