HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Molds for making papiemache figures

#1 2010-09-24 11:57:16

Titere

Molds for making papiemache figures

Hello everyone. I am planning to make six figures, approx. 12 high, 6cm diameter at the base and 3cm diameter at the top. I want to make a mold of them, and then fill the molds with papiermache. The figures made from the molds are for children, therefore I use the papiermache, and not plaster (gypsum) for example. I am thinking of making the original figures in clay or cernit, and then make a rubber mold (the one that comes in liquid, and you apply it on layers with a brush to the figure you are making a form of). I am planning to use that latex mold with papiermache. Do that works? I have never done that before, so I have no idea if it works, and if the papiermache will take nicely the shape of the molds. I can buy the thinest mixture of papiemache available for this, or if it is a home made method for preparing such a mix, will be glad to her about that too. Thanks for any advice!

#2 2010-09-27 07:48:54

CatPerson

Re: Molds for making papiemache figures

The latex should work, although probably not for an endless number of castings.  Due to the flexibility of the latex, you will probably need to embed the latex molds in 'mother molds', a solid backing of (usually) rigid plaster that supports the latex.

If you google 'mother molds' there should be some photos and instruction.

Sue

Board footer