HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

What type of varnish should I use?

#1 2010-09-05 13:27:05

nenio

What type of varnish should I use?

Hello all!

This is the first time I am looking at this site, and I have to say, it is great!

I apologize if the question of varnishes has been dealt with before - I couldn't find a search function for the forum.

Basically, I have made a shoe rack for my partner. It is made of a light structure of mounting board, covered in papier maché, and I used home-made glue. I have asked him to choose what kind of finish he would like, and he said he would like me to leave it as it is, no paint. (I used several international newspapers and it's true it looks quite good, getting glimpse of the headlines in different languages). 

I need to varnish it with something absolutely transparent that will not make the ink of the newsprint run - I think (but am not certain at all) my glue will prevent that from happening anyway, but I would like somebody to confirm!
Also I suppose I need a fairly thick layer of it, as the rack will need occasional cleaning - I can't trust him to check his shoes are perfectly dry and clean all the time. I live in the UK and have access to a few good DIY and craft shops - any brand/type you could recommend?

Sorry if my question is silly - I have never varnished "bare" papier maché before and because my piece looks quite good now, I wouldn't want to mess it up at this stage!

#2 2010-09-05 15:09:12

Jackie
Website

Re: What type of varnish should I use?

Hi Nenio,

Your project sounds interesting....I must say I am curious about your "homemade glue"?

When you come to varnish a piece, several thin coats are better than one thick coat. Polyurethane varnish is probably most often used for indoor projects. The only down side is that it yellows a bit over time. You may or may not like the yellowing effect on your piece. It would give it an "aged" look. If you want a varnish that stays crystal clear, you will have to spend a bit more money and get a clear art varnish (they usually come in spray cans). Might be worth the expense if you don't want it to discolour.

Jackie

#3 2010-09-05 18:28:15

nenio

Hello Jackie,

Thanks for your reply.

By "homemade" glue I simply mean a basic flour and water glue - it works wonders and I bake a lot so I always have flour in the kitchen cupboard!

I guess I'll see how expensive it'd be to use clear art varnish, but I might go for that. The shoe-rack is not that big anyway: it's a "cube" of 1foot x 1foot, with three "shelves" in all. Thanks for the advice about keeping the layers thin - I'm sure I would have tried to put too much at once without thinking further.  I suppose a spray can could be good for that too!

#4 2010-09-05 20:20:28

CatPerson

Varnishes (true varnish and polyurethanes) also come in flat/matte finishes and glossy finishes.  For your newspaper effect, the matte type might be best.

Sue

#5 2010-09-06 15:13:21

nenio

Thanks Sue, I totally agree matte would be best!

Board footer