HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Latex vs acrylic

#1 2010-05-08 04:11:49

WillowleafArtistry
Website

Latex vs acrylic

With my planning to buy some new supplies to start working with papier mache, I've come to the conclusion that I seriously need to restock my paint stash.  I have a box full of FolkArt acrylic bottles, some of which are around 15 years old.  Also, with the amount of painting I plan to do in the future, there's no way these tiny little bottles will last very long.

As far as Wikipedia is concerned, latex and acrylic are very nearly the same thing, and in fact the word "latex" redirects you to the acrylic page.  My opinion is that buying the large cans of regular wall paints would be far more economical and longer lasting than continuing to use the small containers of acrylic (and I'm tired of having to pay Michael's prices).  So are they, realistically, interchangeable?  Is there any real difference between how the two paints would work over time?  Would the latex variety react differently to top coat sealants/glazes/varnishes, etc?  Dry differently?  Be less durable in the long run?  Not mix as well with other mediums?

If there is a real, noticeable or important difference between them, I'd love to know as I've never worked with latex wall paints before.

War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left.

#2 2010-05-08 15:10:34

paper soup

Re: Latex vs acrylic

They are very similar and I have actually used both on one project. Latex does seem to be a bit thicker(more like poster paints as opposed to acrylics. I suppose it is to provide greater coverage on a large flat suface. I use a paint conditioner to thin them a little, especially to allow carved or built up details to come through. Using water as a thinner doesn't seem to work as well for me, as it dulls the colors. The paint conditioners thin the body of the paint nicely.
If you are planning to use a varnish or other sealant, I would definately use flat paint. The glossier versions don't accept sealers or even other layers of colors as well, since they don't have a "tooth" to accept them. Does that make any sense? I'm on my first cup of coffee LOL.

#3 2010-05-09 00:45:33

CatPerson

If you look into those old bottles of paint, you may find that many of them are dried up and not usable.  It happened to me.

I really don't think you would have any problem with your plan.  You could buy larger amounts of white latex or acrylic (I think they're so close to being the same thing that you could consider them so) and some small cans of tint (about $10USD), and mix small batches of colors to suit yourself.

Those Universal Paint Tints that paint shops mix into a white base when you want a particular color can be used with latex and acrylic paints, indoor and outdoor paints, oil-based and water-based paints, so I don't think you would have any trouble using any of them.  http://www.fauxshop.com/paint.htm

Paper Soup's suggestion to use flat paint is a good one.  I would think that any sealer (shellac, varnish, etc) would work well with it, and the sealer could be glossy one if that's the finish you prefer.

Accidental crazing/crackling/peeling would probably be the worst that could happen.  *shrugs*  Research how to deliberately crackle a finish, and then don't do that.

Sue

#4 2010-05-12 15:22:04

Patraw
Website

As Papersoup said, latex paint tends to be a bit thicker than acrylic.  I've mixed acrylic and latex paints together numerous times without any problems.  Another positive aspect of latex paint is it has some flexibility to it, so it's less prone to cracking--you can even paint bendable wire with it and it'll usually remain intact when you bend the wire itself (provided the bend isn't too extreme).  The only negative aspect I've ever noticed with latex paint is that the glossy ones can be kind of tacky/sticky when they're dry, even years later.  I'm thinking of one figure in particular that I painted with latex whose feet always want to adhere a bit to the shelf I keep him on.

Walmart, assuming you have one nearby, sells Folkart/Apple Barrel acrylic paints at fairly reasonable prices if Michael's costs too much (about $2 for an 8 fluid ounce bottle of matte, gloss costs more). That's where I get all my acrylic paint.  But, yeah, if you're going to be making large projects, a can of paint would probably be a lot more economical--heck, you can probably find friends/relatives that will be happy to give you old cans of paint just to be rid of them.

#5 2010-05-14 22:19:39

CatPerson

It is said that if you paint when it's raining, the paint will always be tacky.  I don't know if that's true or not, but I thought I would throw it out there, just in case it's true.

Sue

#6 2010-05-15 06:05:21

paper soup

I don't know about the Great White North, but here in Texas our recycling centers take in leftover paint and readily give it away for the asking. They have a couple of pallets of paint cans at my local center that you can just pick through and take what you like. I've picked up a lot that way.
LOL I've always been the ultimate cheapskate, but now it's called "environmentally friendly"

Joey

#7 2010-05-16 18:21:21

CatPerson

Yes, Joey, they do that here in Washington State, too.

Also, I've seen it offered on FreeCycle.

Sue

#8 2010-05-22 14:53:41

Patraw
Website

I've never heard of rain making paint tacky, but I suppose it's a possibility.  I know I painted the figure indoors, but it was made years ago, so I couldn't say if it was raining or not at the time.  I've got other figures that are painted solely in gloss latex that also have a tendency to stick to shelves, so I'd have to lean towards it being the paint, rather than environmental factors.

#9 2010-07-25 17:00:40

rosielee

i suppose if you plan to do big sculptures and things then your plan is good- but personally, If i am going to invest in new stuff id go the safe direction and get acrylics- thats is i was doing small stuff- because i know good quality acrylic at affordable price like system 3 is not going to let me down. some times i find that no amount of skill can overcome inadequate materials- the other thing that rings bells to me is that most people seem to paint their paper mache with acrylic paints- there has to be a reason for this- a good one- it wold be a shame if you bought those latex things and discovered that werent fine art enough for you- big disappointment if your budget is then gone- but of course its up to you- if it was me- i woulbt spend to much money until ive tried sme of the paint out. but i am knowing what you mean on regards of the money front- its always a good idea to get the most out of your money and to enjoy arty stuff wihtout having to spend a fortune- im with you on that one!

#10 2010-08-22 12:01:18

Creaturiste

I am going to experiment with latex housepaint soon (mostly as a sealer, since so many seem to use it), so I cannot be sure how appropriate it is as a paint for paper mache.

However, I worked a lot with those little bottles of craft acrylics, and can tell you they are usually robbing you of money. At the price of a bottle, seeing how little they cover, and seeing how brittle they are compared to the good stuff, i,d say it's a scam.  Seems like a bargain because of the price tag per bottle, but it adds up quickly.

I highly recommend switching to artist quality acrylic paints, either in tubes, in jars, or make your own from the base ingredients to have full control of all properties, and save money at the same time.

I mostly make my own acrylics from dry pigments and gloss acrylic medium. Adding more pigments makes the paint perfectly matte. Talcum powder is also a good matteifying agent.  Artist Quality acrylic paints are supposed to be rated for lightfastness, be well saturated, and have good adhesive and stretching properties.

Getting my ingredients from a specialized pigment store aves me a lot of money.
Here is my supplier, who also deliver outside the country. If you don't have a pigment supplier locally, I'd recomend getting the dry pigments from them, but try to locate the acrylic medium in a local art store, because liquids are heavy and that could increase the shipping costs.
http://www.kamapigment.com/index_en.html

Have fun!

#11 2010-08-22 18:25:59

Jackie
Website

Hi Creaturiste....I have heard about and seen your work. You are mentioned by a lot of people to me.

Your experiments with making your own paint are interesting. I use powder pigments for colouring grout for mosaic work, but have not tried it with acrylic paint.

As with mixing any colours though, we have to remember to mix up a big enough quantity for our use, as it's practically impossible to make the exact same shade again! (That can be so infuriating when you have about one square inch left to paint and you've used it all up!) Do you make up quite large batches and store them in jars?

Jackie

#12 2010-08-22 19:07:27

CatPerson

Jackie:  "...it's practically impossible to make the exact same shade again!"

Aack!  There's no 'practically' about it!

But there is one trick which can be used in a few circumstances. 

If you have to mix more of the same color and you think you're close, use it on a different plane.  For instance, if you are making a dollhouse of PM and you're running low on your wall color, use what you've got left to finish as many full walls that you can.  Then use the almost-right color on adjoining wall.  The difference in the light hitting the difference planes can offset the faint difference in color.

The other trick is separating the faint difference with another color, to trick the eye.

Sue

Otherwise, you have to recoat the whole section.

Board footer