HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

molds

#1 2010-04-04 11:37:15

bubblebev

molds

Im keen to get some molds to use with papier mache to make thin decoration to stick on boxes, but not sure which molds are best.  What should the molds be made of?  There seems to be a lot out there (plaster molds, soap molds etc) and they are all so lovely but not sure how well they would work with papier mache pulp!!

Any ideas or knowledge gratefully recieved!!

#2 2010-04-04 19:05:09

Jackie
Website

Re: molds

For small, fine decorations like this, I would recommend plastic chocolate/icing moulds.

These are easy to find and come in all the designs you could wish for. They are also flexible so you should not have too much trouble getting them out of the moulds. You would be advised to put some sort of lubricant in the moulds first though - e.g. a thin smear of cooking oil or vaseline.

Although papier mache dries quite hard, these pieces will be relatively thin so you will need to gently ease them out so as not to damage them. Just make sure that the papier mache is completely dry before attempting it.

Jackie

#3 2010-04-05 01:22:49

CatPerson

Yes, chocolate or candy molds should work fine. 

Don't just take a lump of PM and press it into the mold.  Try to use smaller pieces to fit into the deepest parts of the molds first, then fill in on top of them and firm them together.

If you have access to silicone mold spray that dries, that would also work very well, also you could try Murphy's Oil Soap if you can find it.  Beware of using too much mold release, as it can stick to the PM and make paint skip over it.

Most PM will shrink somewhat as it dries, which will help with removing it from the mold.  As Jackie said, remove carefully, then let dry more, as the part of the PM that is against the plastic form will dry last.

Sue

#4 2010-06-14 19:16:44

janethale

I have just used some small moulds by filling with a pulp made from egg boxes .I prepared the pulp by tearing the egg boxes up and soaking for 2 days. Then liquidizing the soaked material squeezing out the water and pressing it into the prepared moulds . Result   let it dry thoroughly and release .The detail was impressive but I have not given them a coat of acrylic paint yet.
They are light and delicate but I figure once glued on your piece it will have unit strength.
Janet
See my Tutorial "Transform a 2 Litre PET Bottle into a Vase at http://www.chillfilms.com/upcycle.html

Last edited by janethale (2010-06-14 19:19:08)

#5 2010-07-25 14:15:08

sheryl.scharschmidt

I've recently done a course and we've been shown how to make our own rubber latex moulds as well as plaster moulds coated with candle wax! - I use them for making things with papier-mache, and with the latex ones I can easily make things out of plaster in them as well. The latex is quite cheap and really easy to use (but it stinks of ammoniac) - You make your object, then coat it in the latex, then depending on the object you have made, you then make a plaster support over it - and then you're ready to make copies - Hope it doesn't sound complicated because it's really not!

#6 2010-07-30 06:29:27

Annie Willerton

I make my own moulds out of palster of paris. First I work the shape that I want out of clay. The  I make a boxed barrier around the shape before I pour in the plaster of paris. It means I can make my own designs. I use grease and cling film to line the moulds before putting pulp in. I don't let the moulds dry completely before I use the as although fragile they are easier to mould onto curved surfaces and work into a piece when still flexible.

#7 2010-07-31 01:35:00

CatPerson

Sheryl, how do you coat your molds with candle wax?  Do you just rub it on, or melt it, or something else?

I've never heard of doing that!

Sue

Board footer