HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Cast paper vessels

#1 2010-07-26 22:35:28

phdez49

Cast paper vessels

Does anyone have directions on how to make cast paper vessels that can hold liquid? Thank you.

phdez49

#2 2010-07-27 00:11:24

rosielee

Re: Cast paper vessels

no i dont-
just thought id tell you that.
but there is a tutorial on how to make a boat on the other part- this barge- and that was a paper mache remote control boat- fully waterproof- looks like a boat- im guessing same waterproof principles might apply- you could send that chap a message maybe- he really knows his stuff and his boat is perfect.
but im sure someone will have detailed answers for you soon- god luck with your vase- sounds good- its it was me- id do strips of old books- and id do a lot of them- thats kind of how id start- but i wouldnt know how you made it waterproof. i think it just need s a few coats of some kind of resin- ill read your answers as im intreagued myself now- goodluck

#3 2010-07-27 00:20:28

paper soup

There is some interesting stuff on the market I have been wanting to try. One is a rubber coating that is painted on tool handles and such to prevent slipping, rust etc. The other is a paint that is used to coat the interior of pick up truck beds. Neither come in much of the way of color choices, but I have been wanting to give them a try for something like this.

#4 2010-07-27 00:42:13

rosielee

i had a look at that article- it was how to make a narro boat- chris shilling- if my memory serves me right- well he simply painted his boat with black car dy paint- stands to reason that cars ahve to be waterproof and protect against rust- but would this be right look for a vase? i think not- too thick. in the gallery there are some vases- and te artists email addresses are there- all depends on whether you get replies. i suspect some kind of varnish wold work- a boat varnish sounds good to me.

#5 2010-07-28 02:43:07

CatPerson

It would be simpler and easier to just make a PM cache pot that can hold a plastic vase.

Paper has two famous enemies:  Fire and Water.  Trying to make paper fireproof or waterproof is like trying to roll a boulder uphill.  Just because it may be possible doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea. 

However, some people like a challenge.  *shrugs* 

Sue

Board footer