HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

translucent papier mache?

#1 2001-09-15 01:06:34

translucent papier mache?

I'm thinking of making a papier mache lampshade.  Does anyone know of the best paper and adhesive to use in order to make it translucent? I'd be grateful for any tips.
Esther M.

#2 2001-09-18 09:09:08

Re: translucent papier mache?

Hi I dont know much but I bought the martha stewart magazeen this month and her pumpkins were made with Tissue paper instead of news paper and you could see the light shinning through. Really cute.

#3 2001-11-09 01:46:42

hi - i wanted to know how i can make papier mache translucent so i could see words and such through it.  for example - i want to cover a box with poems and quotes that were adhered to the surface of the box, much like papier mache is.  Please help soon! thanx!

#4 2002-01-29 07:48:47

Hello
I have recycled old lamp shades that look great, and I always seem to be doing these for friends that see them and just love them.
I take an old lampshade, I like the fluted ones and using layers of bathroom tissue I very carefully and very lightly brush them onto the shade with wallpaper paste thinned out a little thinner than usual, be carefull as the tissue tears easily  (not that it matters the textures are just great,)  I then use several colours of dry tempara paint mixed with the paste and daub it on to the wet tissue blending colours and leaving white tissue spaces, you will find when dry that the tissue will show the light denser where the shade was covered with more layers of tissue and the coloured painted areas are semi transulant. I started these a couple of years ago and it seems that I always have a waiting list to make them for friends
Hope you find this usefull, I will be pleased to explain further if needed
Terry

#5 2002-01-29 16:41:43

Hi!

I'm an art teacher in Texas.  We use an approximate 50/50 mix of white (Elmer's brand) glue and water.  Mix to the consistency of cream (might be more like 60% glue to 40% H20)  Dries to a very strong and transluscent finish.

Hope this helps

#6 2002-01-29 16:44:37

I have used thin, white paper toweling or tissue paper -- sorry, forgot to mention that previously.

#7 2002-01-29 17:24:24

I have jusy completed another one, this time I used assorted brown paper grocery bags each TORN into pieces and applied overlaping pieces, the paper bags have slight variations in colour and the effect is more like suede, I have also used paper bags on a theatre set to give the camouflaged effect
Though not translucent on the shade the light is directed downwards and tops a lamp made from a brick,
just another idea
Terry

#8 2002-01-29 18:31:27

It seems to me that decoupage techniques would be more suitable.  Mod Podge is a great prodect and you can buy in Satin, Matte and Glossy finnishes.

Board footer