HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Varnish?

#1 2010-05-02 19:38:03

bubblebev

Varnish?

Need your wonderful advice again!!

I have painted my papier mache boxes and the decorations to go on them.  I used acrylic paint to do this.  They look great but you can see the paint lines and it doesnt look as smooth as I wish.  Any tips on tackling this?

Also, I am thinking that varnishing the boxes will give them a better finish but dont know where to start?  Which varish is best to use?

#2 2010-05-03 17:55:53

CatPerson

Re: Varnish?

Paint lines can be caused by several things.

If the paint was too thin for one coat, the background may be showing through.  Another coat should help.

If the paint was too thick, the body of the paint may not be flattening down like it should, leaving ridges.  Sand very lightly with fine sandpaper.  If sanding thins out the layer of paint too much, apply another coat, but thin it down with water first (very small amounts at a time) and give it another coat.

There are all kinds of varnishes for all types of purposes.  Here is a site that lists 14 kinds.  Click on a few and read their descriptions, to see which is best for your purposes:  http://www.craftsman-style.info/finishi … arnish.htm

Sue

#3 2010-05-04 00:11:34

paper soup

Re: Varnish?

I have found a relatively inexpensive way to thin paint without dilutung it as happens with water. Artist's mediiums are horrible expensive about $20 US for 8 oz. But in the paint department of your local harware store, they sell paint additives that are used to thin paint for use in sprayers. They call it paint conditioner. I have used two brands; Floetrol and Wagners (they make their own spray guns). Both work very well to give acrylic or latex/emulsion paints a thinner body, without greatly reducing coverage. They run about $6 a quart, much better price than the artist's mediums, especially for larger pieces.
I'm eager to read the varnish article. That stuff always confuses me!

Board footer