HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Wheels on large sculpture

#1 2010-04-13 16:10:45

TK

Wheels on large sculpture

Hi all!!
I have been working on a full sized pony. (Long process for me)
But an idea came to mind where my son n I thought it would be quaint if he could pull the pony in our annual parade in the Summer. I have been wondering with bumpy roads if Wheels would need to be somewhat  airy instead of  hard to give some shock spring and cushion the trip.
Does any one know if paper mache with tp clay would hold up and withstand the vibration of hard lawn mower wheels being used on bumpy pavement. Or would it crack under duress of the vibrations?
I have another Question with this but I think I will start here.

The trouble is expense of wheels and keeping them fairly small,and availability in my area. I already have 4 small lawn mower wheels on hand. Looking for small wheels with air filling  seems it may be difficult.
Ideas any one?
Thank you!

#2 2010-04-14 05:29:02

CatPerson

Re: Wheels on large sculpture

I have no experience with this, but I do have a thought.

If the pony were fastened to a sturdy base (retangular), and the wheels were fastened to that base, the base may be able to absorb the shock, rather than directly to each hoof.

Perhaps something like this:  http://www.bakercoantiques.com/items/ch … _HO701.htm

Sue

#3 2010-04-14 11:12:06

TK

Re: Wheels on large sculpture

Hey now Sue.. you jumped to my second question and I never wrote it down yet heehee! funny, put that crystal ball away lol

That actually is probably the better idea then each hoof as an individual.
I was hoping to cut back some weight by skipping the base idea..  but...That base might be the only way to go .
I do know this tp clay is very hard, but still concerned, and total inexperienced with putting it on wheels. The ones we see in parades are usually on a float.
Thank you for thinking about that base and presenting me with a link to an example.
I appreciate your thoughts!
TK

Board footer