HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Shredded paper

#1 2010-03-31 12:59:56

erika955

Shredded paper

Hi - can shredded office paper be used for paper mache? How? Thanks.

#2 2010-03-31 19:10:31

dopapier

Re: Shredded paper

If you look at the various threads about making mash you will get some idea of the process.  Basically, shredded office (bond) paper is not easy to break down.  Soaking in hot water and even boiling helps but then it has to be pulverised.  Personally I'm not sure it is worth the effort but there may well be others in this Forum who think it is really good.  For mash, I would go for newsprint every time.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#3 2010-03-31 19:14:20

CatPerson

Yes, it can be used to make pulp papier mache.

It is a harder paper than newspaper, so it takes a little more effort.

There are two kinds of shred, the long strips and the little cross-chopped pieces.  The little pieces seem easier to me, but I've used the strips -- I just chop them across the strips a bit more with scissors, but you probably wouldn't NEED to do that.

Put your shreds in a big pot of water and let it sit overnight.  Then put it on the stove and bring it up to a simmer.  This helps to break it down.

Then you can put the mush into a blender (Brits call it something else.. a liquifier?) with water and whirl it around.  You will have to use quite a bit of water when you do this, as blenders are made for use with watery things.  Too much drag on the blades and you'll burn out the motor.  Get one from a thrift shop, don't use your good one.  Start with a handful of pulp and a lot of water.

Pour the liquid mush into a wire sieve or a cone made from vinyl window screening and press out excess water to the degree that looks good to you.  Don't put the discarded water down the sink!  Putting it into the compost pile would be safer for your plumbing.

You can dry it thoroughly for future use, or go directly to adding your adhesive, dye, etc, and get to work on your project.

Pulp takes more time to dry than strips, so make sure it is dry before you start painting or sealing it.

Sue

#4 2010-04-01 18:34:12

Alasdair
Website

If drying the pulp seems like a pain I'd recommend adding a healthy (unhealthy?) quantity of salt and maybe some soda crystals if you've got any lying around, and storing in an airtight container.  This seems to prevent mould forming or it beginning to smell bad, some folks advocate adding bleach but I can't say I'm keen ...

... I'm a real fan of adding different 'stuff' to my pulp!

#5 2010-04-01 20:43:26

CatPerson

it may be easier to dry for future use if you pick it out into small pieces and dry them on a screen.  You can also dry it in an oven on minimum heat. 

Salt is highly corrosive -- it will even destroy concrete eventually if you mix salty beach sand into the mix.

You can also use the office paper in strips, but you have to soak them well, first.  And the narrower the strips, the better.  If your strips are forming wrinkles, they're too wide or the pieces are too large.  Wrinkles mean sanding later.

Bleach and I don't get along very well, it makes me cough and it feels too slimy.

Sue

#6 2010-04-01 22:08:12

dopapier

I wait for high summer, make a good batch of pulp, separate it into 'biscuits' and dry on a galvanised mesh.  Result, a sackful of dried pulp ready to use whenever needed.  To reconstitute, soak for fifteen seconds submerged in water; break into smaller pieces; mix in the paste;  add the ground chalk
and hey presto . . . modelling begins.

I'm a PM addict

#7 2010-04-06 08:35:00

erika955

thank you all for your replies!

Board footer