HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » How to Make a Papier Mache Camel...?

How to Make a Papier Mache Camel...?

#1 2003-09-25 11:20:08

How to Make a Papier Mache Camel...?

Hi all,

I find, for reasons too complex to go into, I am required to construct a papier mache camel. We've all been there at some stage in our lives, I'm sure.

Not too big - say about 20 or 25cm high (8 to 10 inches) or thereabouts. Preferably two humps, but if there is some significant engineering reason that makes one hump easier I'm happy to bend on this requirement.

It doesn't have to be a great work of art - just so long as people look at it and think "That's a camel.".

The only other requirement is that I want people to be able to sign it afterwards, so it needs to be at least reasonably sturdy such that it doesn't come to pieces when it is being written on.

I've never really done any papier mache work before so am not sure where to start. I think I can just about work out the layering on of the gluey paper side of things, and the painting. It's more the frame I'm unsure about. Should I use wire, balloons, cardboard, or perhaps something else...?

Does anyone have any suggestions...?

Many Thanks,

John

#2 2003-09-25 13:32:49

Karen
Website

Re: How to Make a Papier Mache Camel...?

Okay, John. . .a camel, eh? The easiest way to do this is to draw a camel (one or two humps wink ) on cardboard. Cut it out. Make a duplicate. Wad up newsprint. Form it to the head and body of your camel leaving the legs for later. When formed to suit your taste tape the other stencil to the newsprint side. Now apply wadded newsprint to form the legs, wrapping with masking tape. (Hope I'm explaining this well enough.)

To this apply at least four papier mache layers. Overlap layers and smooth out -- to the best of your ability -- any air bubbles. Apply strips in  opposite direction for second layer, third and so on. 

Paint. Voila!

karen
www.farroutart.com

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » How to Make a Papier Mache Camel...?

Board footer