HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » To Fix or Not to Fix a Damaged Gemma Taccogna?

To Fix or Not to Fix a Damaged Gemma Taccogna?

#1 2009-10-23 17:32:43

dwinitt
Website

To Fix or Not to Fix a Damaged Gemma Taccogna?

I have recently purchased five pieces by Gemma Taccogna, most had minor damage. I just bought a lion (didn't cost that much) that has damaged ears, a spot by the nose, and some chips to the rope-like detailing. I am tempted to make repairs, and think I could do a professional job of it. I realize that conventional wisdom tells me to leave it alone. I would appreciate any advice, especially from anyone experienced or knowledgeable in restoration, and/or those who know of Gemma's work.

I have been asked to provide a brief writing on what has drawn me to her work, including pictures of the pieces that I am very pleased to own, for posting on this website. I will be doing this within the next couple of weeks.

Sincere thanks in advance to all for your interest and wisdom.

Best regards,
David

Last edited by dwinitt (2009-10-23 21:05:47)

#2 2009-10-23 21:44:58

Jackie
Website

Re: To Fix or Not to Fix a Damaged Gemma Taccogna?

Hi David,

I understand your dilemma regarding whether or not to repair your works. I have the same decision to make on a couple of my own things. As you say, the done thing is to leave well alone unless you are experienced at restoration. I think it depends a lot on why you have bought the item. Did you buy it because you like the look of it and will it give you greater pleasure to see it restored to its former glory, or did you buy it partly as an investment and don't want it to lose any value?

I buy things because I like them, but I am hesitant to do anything that will make them worth less than what I paid for them.

You could try emailing Jackie May, she was a close friend of Gemma's and she may well be able to give you some advie. Her email is: Rcds2@aol.com

We are looking forward to seeing pictures of your Gemma Taccogna collection (repaired or otherwise!) smile

Jackie

#3 2009-10-24 16:06:38

CatPerson

I agree with Jackie.

Most important is how YOU value the piece.  If it continually bothers you to look at it damaged, and you don't/won't place a high value on it as a collector's item, I would say go ahead and fix it.  But it could well reduce the value to another collector.

It's really your call.

Sue

#4 2009-10-24 19:52:59

dopapier

Gemma didn't make it damaged.  The piece is probably unhappy to be imperfect.  That has happened somewhere along the line.
If you are buying for investment follow dealers' advice.  Otherwise, if you can do a good job, I would try to return it to its original state.  Make it a happy piece.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#5 2009-11-06 18:58:40

dwinitt
Website

The damaged piece arrived, and the damage I was concerned about did not really detract from the piece nor my enjoyment of it. I have absolutely no intention of trying to repair it!

#6 2009-11-06 21:07:21

CatPerson

I was wondering about that!  I didn't realize that you hadn't seen it yet.  It's always nice when someone tells the truth about damage, and then it isn't as bad as you thought.

What kind of pieces have you bought?

Sue

#7 2009-11-09 14:23:14

dwinitt
Website

I have boght the following pieces; two head busts (one of which is a pin cushion), a cat, a lion, a small head figure with arms wrapped around a container, and a mirror with a woman's face. I will be submitting pictures of these to this website as soon as I make the time to do so, and halt my current run of purchases.

#8 2009-12-29 22:54:42

Jackie
Website

David's collection of Gemma Taccogna's pieces is now in our articles section: http://www.papiermache.co.uk/articles/g … ollecting/ Individually each piece is beautiful, but as a collection they must look absolutely stunning.

Jackie

#9 2009-12-30 20:15:49

CatPerson

They are very nice indeed!  They look fairly small, I am assuming maybe 6" or so?  They perfectly represent Gemma's super-smooth finishes, which has always seemed to be her trademark (and a point of pride, too!).

Thanks for the view, David!

Sue

#10 2009-12-30 20:44:04

dwinitt
Website

Just some info as to size: the four little ladies are ten inches tall; the owl is about 12 inches; the lion is about 11 inches long; most of the other are around 5 to eight  inches in height or length.

Last edited by dwinitt (2009-12-31 01:20:14)

#11 2009-12-31 14:17:26

dopapier

Thanks, David, for posting those pictures.  What a lovely collection.  It was Jackie May who first really introduced us to Gemma's work.  Jackie was a friend and pupil of hers.  I am surprised you have been able to find so many.  Well done!
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#12 2010-01-16 03:37:12

irishcornboy

David,

Thanks for sharing your Gemma collection with us. Love the Lion piece. (One of the best Gemma's I've ever seen!) I come across Gemma pieces every now and then. Now I know who to offer them up for sale to first? (I've sold three of her pieces over the last year). I keep hoping for a proper book on Gemma's career to get published. It's a shame that all we have is one book (Linares family) focusing on Mexican Papel Mache over the years.

Kevin

#13 2010-01-16 21:48:10

paperartist

Hi everyone.
I do have more information on Gemma that I will share with you all in the future. Also, I have some pictures I took of her to share if you'd like.
She speaks to me often.
I have acquired only one more piece for my collection, a small orange and green cat vase. We shared a love for cats.
Did you know that Anna Sui, the clothing designer in NY is an avid collector? I tried to get them together just before Gemma passed, but things were very hectic. Anna continues to collect Gemma's work and has an amazing collection. There is even an Anna Sui edition Boho Barbie with a gemma "head" included!
Jackie May

#14 2010-01-16 21:49:43

paperartist

Oh, David, Thank you for sharing your collection with us!!!
I am happy you didn't have to repair anything.
Jackie May

#15 2010-01-17 18:58:47

Jackie
Website

Lovely to hear from you again Jackie. We'd love to have further information and pictures of Gemma when you get a chance to put it together for us.

I have never been lucky enough to see a piece of Gemma's - I think most of it must be in the States?

Any photos of any of her pieces will be greatly welcomed. We would add them to the other lovely photos we have.

Jackie

#16 2010-01-17 21:33:15

paperartist

Hi Jackie (nice name!)
I will be happy to send more information.
Shall I send it to you so you can place it in the correct location?
You guys are the best.
I am so happy to contribute, as Gemma ALWAYS encouraged me to do.
Hugs,
Jackie

#17 2010-01-17 22:52:36

Jackie
Website

Yes, just email everything to me and I'll do the rest. The bigger the pictures are the better so that we can resize them.

Looking forward to learning more about Gemma.

Jackie

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » To Fix or Not to Fix a Damaged Gemma Taccogna?

Board footer