HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Papier Mache over chicken wire

#1 2003-05-28 02:18:28

Fkouch

Papier Mache over chicken wire

I have seen people use papier mache over chicken wire and I have a few questions.

1/ How does the papier mache stick to the wire?

2/ Which type is best, strip or pulp?

3/Will PVA work?

Thanks

Farrokh

#2 2003-05-28 21:17:37

Rachel

Re: Papier Mache over chicken wire

Hi, I use chicken wire for many of my larger pieces, since the paper needs a strong base....the trick is, the paper does not stick to the wire!

What you need to do is work in sections, so that you only cover the wire with paper on places it will just lay on top. When they dry, you can gradually turn your wire frame and add more, until the whole thing is covered. The paper sticks to itself, and gradually you build up the form. the wire remains underneath so if the paper wants to shrink or warp, there is something under it to prevent that.

#3 2003-05-29 09:30:30

Jackie
Website

Hi Fkouch,

You can also make your first layer using large pieces of paper (handkerchief size) and drape these over your frame. But use thin strips thereafter to give it strength.

Jackie

#4 2003-09-21 16:20:56

julrosec
Website

You can also put masking tape over the parts of the wire that are going to be covered with paper. It adds some stability to the wet paper as you place the first few layers on, since it isn't gooshing through the spaces between wires.

#5 2003-09-23 21:27:36

i have always wanted to use chicken wire, but am embarrased  :oops: to say i struggle on with large projects without it.
Does anyone have any tips on what chicken wire size to use and how to shape it?
rosie

#6 2003-09-24 04:53:03

julrosec
Website

As for what size to use and how to shape it, I decided on 3/4" wire, and have been shaping it with needle nose pliers and a pair of nice hefty wire cutters. The size is really a subjective thing, I like the medium size holes because it means it's small enough to work on smaller projects, but not so small that the first layer is nearly all metal. The smaller-holed stuff is also a lot stiffer and harder to bend into interesting shapes, but I suppose if you're doing really big shapes that don't need to have structural twists and turns, it would be nice for that extra bit of support.

Board footer