HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Repairing distorted bowl (accidental over-warming!)

Repairing distorted bowl (accidental over-warming!)

#1 2010-01-08 11:14:26

Jo Webber
Website

Repairing distorted bowl (accidental over-warming!)

Hi, newbie here! I have been playing with paper mache for only a short while and am by no means an artist! My problem is that I had made a lovely (by my standard!) bowl and had been using the oven on a very low heat to dry between layers. Unfortunately, the final time I forgot to check the temp on the oven after cooking dinner and caught the bowl just as it had started smoking! The only real damage was that a layer had separated making a large bubble on the inside. I think the rest of the bowl is ok but how do I re stick this layer? Can I soak the area 'til it's soft and put paste behind it? Is there a sure-fire way to do this?
All suggestions are welcome - I'll try anything as it is useless as it is!
Thanks in advance, Jo

#2 2010-01-08 18:22:07

paper soup

Re: Repairing distorted bowl (accidental over-warming!)

Rather than soaking it and risking further separation from adding more water, perhaps you could try slicing into the bubble and flattening it out and smoothing with paste, and perhaps a patch of paper. This is by lo means a sure fire method, but I think it would work if I'm understanding your dilemma correctly.
Let us know how it comes out!

#3 2010-01-08 18:31:38

Jo Webber
Website

Thanks, I have sliced into the bubble and it seems to flatten ok. I think I'll try glueing it with something more substantial than the paste, perhaps pva...
Thanks again.

#4 2010-01-09 00:39:55

CatPerson

I would lightly dampen the top sheet(s) of the cut bubble, but VERY lightly, just to soften the paper enough to lay down smoothly when you re-glue it.  A damp sponge might do it.

Good luck!

Sue

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Repairing distorted bowl (accidental over-warming!)

Board footer