HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Sculpture Question from a Newbie

#1 2003-09-17 15:34:01

Sculpture Question from a Newbie

Can you make paper mache' sculpture without using some kind of wire frame or "under-thingy"? Can it be made into a mass that will stand up by itself?

I'm working with some preschoolers, and for a simple art project I'd love to have something they can use to sculpt, simply, and then paint when it dries?

Can paper mache' be used this way?

I appreciate any tips. Please point me in the right direction, if you know it.

Thanks,

MR, Walnut Creek, CA big_smile

#2 2003-09-18 22:52:18

Karen
Website

Re: Sculpture Question from a Newbie

Yes, MR. You can make sculpture without using wire frames. I'm not sure, however, if preschoolers are ready for papier mache???? Nevertheless. You can use things like toilet-paper and paper-towel rolls. The only caution is not oversoaking the roll. When it gets too wet, it collapses.

There is also this method: Wad newspaper and form a ball or shape. Cover entirely with masking tape, then papier mache. (Either by layering or pulping.) 

Hope this helps you!

karen
www.farroutart.com

#3 2003-09-21 02:41:57

rozani
Website

Re: Sculpture Question from a Newbie

Hello.

Ditto on Karen's response.  The neat thing about paper mache is that it sticks to itself so no armature is needed for simple crafts.  However, their attention span may not allow for any lengthy projects.  Maybe you can pre-soak some pulp for them and lay it out and they can use cookie cutters for making shapes.  They can finger paint them the next day and make necklaces out of them by punching one hole and using yarn.  That's a tough age group for mache.

Actually, with pulp, they can roll and squeeze it to their hearts delight and call it whatever they want.  If you make colored pulp it might be more fun.  Use bleed resistant paper or add food coloring. This can be done with liquid starch straight out of the bottle.  Give them each some different colors of pulp and they can stack and stick together the balls, squiggles or  whatever shapes they want.
big_smile
Have Fun.

Rozani

Board footer