HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Making your own starter pots

#1 2009-12-15 00:34:52

Carolyleo

Making your own starter pots

I would like to learn how to form a plant starter pot, using my broke down egg cartons and I also get a bottle that is shipped with the same material that the egg cartons are made of.

Is there any way I can break down these cartons, and form them around a small pot and start making my own peat pots.

Carol

#2 2009-12-15 02:31:26

CatPerson

Re: Making your own starter pots

The first thing you would need to do is just set the egg carton in the sink and fill the cups with water.  Does the paper absorb the water?

If it does absorb the water fairly quickly, you could probably use them to reform into pots.  If they don't absorb, they are treated with wax or something similar, which prevents water absorption, which would make them unsuitable for your purposes.

If they do absorb water, just soak them in a bucket or tub until they are totally saturated (overnight may be best).  You may want to tear them apart first.  Once soaked, boil them in a large pot until they fall apart.  Drain them in a sieve or through a piece of window screen (formed into a cone). 

Then form them over some existing pots and let them stay there until they will hold their shape (they don't have to be perfect for plant pots), then remove and dry thoroughly.

I've never tried this, so I don't know how well the pots will form, or how well the plants will grow in them, or how well the plant roots will penetrate the paper pot.  Just keep in mind that the edges above the soil will act like a wick and cause the pots to dry out quickly.  (This was my problem with peat pots.)

Sue

Board footer