HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

how to attach a sculpture

#1 2003-09-16 05:24:20

kevart82

how to attach a sculpture

I plan on making a sculpture either using pulp paper mache or cotton linter with a wire skeleton underneath.  I want to then attach this sculpture on to 1/8'' hardboard or canvas so that there is several different layers to this painting/project.  I am looking for suggestions how to create the sculpture that it can be elevated slightly off the surface I would work on.  Should I make this sculpture with a flat back to it so that I may drill through the hardboard surface into the sculpture?  Anybody who has suggestions -please reply.  Thanks alot. smile

#2 2003-09-16 15:20:11

Karen
Website

Re: how to attach a sculpture

Kev, why don't you attach your wire sculpture to the board (via tiedowns or strong staples) then build your sculpture from there. In other words, make the board and integral part of your sculpture.

karen
www.farroutart.com

#3 2003-09-16 15:29:22

rozani
Website

Re: how to attach a sculpture

Hello.

If your sculpture is lightweight and hollow, you could wire it through the board or canvas from the existing armature.  However, you should be able to mache it right on to the board and it will stay.  I don't know if it will stick to canvas but glue would certainly do it for a lightweight piece.

It's a matter of balance.  If a piece weighs as much as plaster or stone, then it will want to pull off of the backing.  It will also shift the weight of the piece which will effect how it hangs.  Heavyweight pieces will need to be secured through the backing with wire and long screws or some similar method.

Hope this helps.

Rozani

Board footer