HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

bobbing head

#1 2009-10-29 13:55:04

luis.florez

bobbing head

Good morning,

I wanted to make a bobbing head of a panda bear, i remember i saw it once on art attack long ago but dont remember how, have done some tries but they been unsuccesfull at least the bobbing part, wanted to know if anybody new how or could lead me to any tutorial page or picture of how to make the bobbing part of the doll. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 2009-10-29 14:44:39

dopapier

Re: bobbing head

If you mean a swinging head (that looks as though it is bobbing) the trick is to put the head on a stem (or dowel) with a weight on the end that is slightly heavier than the head.  Hold the piece in place with a pin (or short length of wire) that goes through the dowel and is across the neck cavity.  When the model moves, the head will bob from side to side, as long as you leave enough space in the body for the weight to swing in both directions.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#3 2009-10-29 14:45:49

dopapier

I guess that another way would be to make it as I just described but to hold it in place with elastic.  That would give more movement laterally and vertically.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#4 2009-10-29 15:47:47

luis.florez

thanks i will try that, had tried with wire only but not the weight, will try this thanks again.

#5 2009-10-29 20:07:22

CatPerson

You can also use a spring.

If your head is solid, drill a hole large enough to fit the end of the spring and glue it in.

But you need to choose your spring carefully.  Usually they are of the closed type (without space between the rings).  They must be 'soft' enough so the head will bobble with movement, but stiff enough so the head doesn't flop over from it's own weight.

Are you attaching the head to a body, or just a weight?

Sue

Board footer