HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Covering pre-made paper mache picture frames

Covering pre-made paper mache picture frames

#1 2009-09-15 16:36:12

kaderrick

Covering pre-made paper mache picture frames

Hi!  New on here, hope someone can enlighten me!  I am trying to figure out how to 'split open' a pre-made (store bought) paper mache picture frame without destroying it.  It has the slot at the top to insert a photo, and a plastic/acrylic sheet to protect the photo, no glass.  What I need to do is have it opened, cover the front and back with padded material/fabric and then glue it all neatly back together.  I could cover the whole frame as is, but can't figure out how to tuck in and glue the fabric in around the edges of the photo area without taking the whole thing apart.  Can I safely slice the frame open or it there an easier way?  Thanks for your time!!!

#2 2009-09-15 22:15:50

CatPerson

Re: Covering pre-made paper mache picture frames

Is the frame hollow, kind of tubular, or is it solid?  I've seen one where the top had a slot, the bottom had a partial slot for the plastic and photo to rest in, but the sides seemed solid to me.  I don't think it would have been possible to slice through it.

But if it is hollow all the way around, you might be able to VERY CAREFULLY and slowly cut along the outside and inside edges to separate the halves.

Otherwise, do you think it would be possible to secure some padding to the front with some spots of glue, and then wrap with your fabric and glue together at the back?

Or, possibly use your fabric as 'fabric mache', and cut patches of fabric, dip or brush with glue, and apply like you would paper?

Sue

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Covering pre-made paper mache picture frames

Board footer