HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Beginner - drainage model

#1 2009-08-12 12:58:39

eajamie

Beginner - drainage model

Hi guys

I'll soon be creating a drainage model to show how drain systems work, which will include a car park, warehouse building a landscape and river at the side base. I'm guessing the size will be about 3 foot by 3 foot. In order to get the frame (on which all this will sit) I have thought about using chicken wire and then coating this with papier mache, removing the wire and then painting it or varnishing it to make it waterproof. It needs to be sturdy to hold water and some soil. Any thoughts that will help? i.e. will chicekn wire spacing be fine enough (are there cheap enough alternatives?); what ratio of flour/water/glue to use? what is best and cheap to waterproof the papier mache?

Cheers in advance.

#2 2009-08-13 01:29:07

CatPerson

Re: Beginner - drainage model

That's nine square feet.  The base will tend to flex unless you put it on a solid base.  What about cutting a piece of masonite to the proper size, reinforcing the underside with 1x2s (on edge), and then sealing the surface of the masonite before you even start the papier mache?

Is this going to be a 3-dimensional project, where the drains go below the buildings (IOW, through holes in the base?)

Sue

Board footer