HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Does Anybody Sell Their Work as Art .

#51 2009-08-06 14:19:18

toolboxboy
Website

Re: Does Anybody Sell Their Work as Art .

i do. i am oriole palacio from philippines..

most of my work - i use paper but in a different technique. 

oriolepalacio.blogspot.com

under organic sculpture - i used paper, i'll post it probably within this week, im still looking for my flash-drive where i saved the file but you can see two of my oversized paper sculpture at blogspot...

#52 2009-08-06 18:46:34

CatPerson

Very nice work, Oriole!

I especially love that pirate!

What kind of interior reinforcements do you use?

Sue

#53 2009-08-07 13:37:40

toolboxboy
Website

hello ma'am sue,

thanks for visiting my blog....

i use steel bars tied with wire...

that pirate is "blackbeard"... there's a restaurant called "blackbeard's seafood island here in our country and one of the managers came and asked for a lifesize sculpture...   since there wasn't available true photo of mr blackbeard on the net, i invented his new look and asked for the owner's approval...

ma'am, i noticed that there are no filipino members here in your site... and i've read about the free gallery... can i join your group ma'am? i have small works also done in paper and i want to show it here... i'm having trouble getting in... can you please help me acquire a free gallery? thank you

oriole

#54 2009-08-07 19:01:30

CatPerson

Of course, you can!  I don't know much about that end of it, so I will contact the site owner and she can help you out.

Sue

#55 2009-08-08 01:46:12

toolboxboy
Website

thanks... looking forward to that ma'am...

#56 2009-08-08 02:19:08

CatPerson

p.s.

Other artists from the Philippines who have galleries here are Arnold Barredo, Eric Cordero, and Owen Calera.

Sue

#57 2009-08-08 18:20:00

Jackie
Website

Hello Toolboxboy. There is a link at the top of this page that will give you all the details you need to open up a gallery of your own. I will cut and paste it here for you as well:

http://www.papiermache.co.uk/gallery/join/

We'd love to have you on board! smile

Jackie

#58 2009-08-10 02:33:58

toolboxboy
Website

hello ma'am jackie,

thanks for your help... i wrote a request moments ago and hoping i could join you all soon...

cheers
oriole

#59 2009-08-25 03:03:20

burrumgirl

Hi Oriole, I also checked out your site and WOW, what great work you do.  Hope to see more in the galleries soon.
Lesley

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#60 2010-02-05 12:33:15

dopapier

Let me add my pleasure at seeing your work, Oriole.  Great sculpture!  I hope you take up the suggestion of showing your work in the artists' gallery on this site.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#61 2010-02-14 22:56:45

RuthM

Hi Lesley

Do you have a gallery on the site? Are you a Sunshine Coaster or is that a different Burrum?? I'd like to see your work. I've not seen much paper mache on the Coast except at a place in Montville that was selling fabulous monsters a few years ago. I've never considered my stuff as 'art' because it is all so cartoony and lightweight. I'm thinking about selling my pinatas and 'exhibiting' the other bits to make it all look a bit more lively and interesting. Obviously pricing is a difficulty but so is location. At this point I have a kitchen full of peculiar things gathering dust...

Ruth

#62 2010-02-21 04:58:53

erikatakacs
Website

Lesley, I think you, the maker have to be first to look at paper mache as a valid fine art medium. If you don't how can you expect others to take pm seriously? Honestly I never experienced any stigma (did not even hear about it before reading this thread) attached to pm, it's a material as acceptable as any other. If you walk into galleries you'll see all kinds of unusual, untraditional sculptural materials, the sky is the limit.
I haven't sold many pieces yet, as I'm fairly new in the field, but the ones I did I sold them at fine art prices. I never experienced any negative reactions from anyone regarding my chosen medium. I look at it as something that distinguishes me from the rest, and a lot of people seem to remember my pieces from shows and exhibits.
Embrace your chosen medium and if you produce art, sell it accordingly!

#63 2012-04-30 15:09:40

trixyinaz

I am so glad I came upon this thread.  Read every post.  Very enlightening.  Before reading this, I was 2nd guessing myself about using a concrete stone as a base for added stability on some pieces I am working on.  I am glad to see other do this and how it is perceived by the outside world.

#64 2012-04-30 21:35:05

CatPerson

Some ideas for PM seem awfully dumb to me, like adding ground dog kibble to the PM pulp mix.  ("That was delicious, Mom!").

Others are so clever that you immediately think, "Why didn't *I* think of that?!"

Most of them fall in the middle somewhere, and you think, "Maybe....." and you won't know if it's viable until you try it yourself.  And even then, it may need some tweaking until it's suitable for what you're doing.

In other words, don't try something entirely new on a complicated project and waste a lot of valuable time and effort.  Try it on a small, simple, trial  piece, and determine if you should keep working with it, or if the idea was dumber than you realized.

We won't go into the details of my 'great' idea for a cheap, simple greenhouse that I attempted to put together yesterday.  It looked okay on paper, but that little thought of 'why hasn't someone done this before?' should have been a red warning light.  Someone probably DID do it before, and it didn't work then, either.

Live and learn, but do the learning as cheaply as possible.

Sue

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Does Anybody Sell Their Work as Art .

Board footer