HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Varnish help?

#1 2003-08-13 15:17:31

Deedra

Varnish help?

Hi all...I'm new to this forum (although not new to this site) and have been doing papier mache seriously for half a year now. My question to you all is this...I've just varnished a recently painted project, and it now isn't as sturdy as it was before. It was rock hard before the paint and the varnish, and now it seems pliable. Is this due to the paint or the varnish? And since it is now varnished, and I guess, sealed for that matter, will the dampness eventually dry or will it remain weak?

Thanks in advance!

Live, love, and laugh.

#2 2003-08-14 11:19:41

Jackie
Website

Re: Varnish help?

Hi Deedra,

That must have been really disappointing for you. There was obviously some moisture trapped somewhere....be it in the papier mache or the paint. What sort of paint did you use? Also, did you seal your papier mache first with some emulsion paint or gesso?

All I can suggest is that you put some pin pricks in inconspicuous places to allow little escape holes for the moisture and put the item in front of a fan. Any moisture needs to be got rid of asap if it is not to do lasting damage. Water is not a friend of papier mache!  lol

Has anyone else had a similar experience to this and can help Deedra?

Jackie

#3 2003-08-23 17:59:55

newsharon

Re: Varnish help?

I am new to papier mache and new to this forum, but, from the reading I have been doing, letting the piece dry thoroughly before painting (one layer = 2 days), then putting gesso (Podge) on it.  There is also an exterior Podge, but I haven't found it yet.  I use the shiny, clear one for my decoupage.I get mine from a hardware store the brand Demco.  you can sand with fine sandpaper if you wish and use 2 or more coats, sanding between coats.  Then you can paint.  Water-based Varathane or water-based varnish is recommended.  Wanna skip the paint part?  Put one coat of Podge and, before it dries, cut up little pieces of paper (wrapping paper, or any other colorful kind - or use plain colors, then cut out colors for details (eyes, etc.).  Then Podge over, sand, Podge, and varnish or varathane.  Hope this has been helpful
Sharon

Sharon

Board footer