HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

New here - hello

#1 2009-01-14 14:37:00

Belinda-san

New here - hello

Hi

I have been working with paper mache for a month now - and I love it.
Thank you for all the information and inspiration I have found here.

I have one question so far - how can I make a gallery?
I do not want to show my picture - is that a demand?

/Belinda-san

Last edited by Belinda-san (2009-01-14 14:39:57)

#2 2009-01-14 18:39:09

CatPerson

Re: New here - hello

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I don't know if a photo is required, so I sent an email to the owner of this site, Jackie.

Where are you in the world, Belinda?  I'm thinking Japan, but...  Would you mind adjusting your profile to indicate what country you're in?  When responding to specific questions about materials or brands, it's easier to just glance to the left to your name and location to see how to word a response.  Just your country is fine.  As you can see from the gallery, we have participants from all over the world here.

Just from my boundless curiosity, what have you been working on?

Sue

#3 2009-01-14 18:45:17

russ
Site Admin
Website

Hi Belinda-san and welcome.

To get your own gallery please follow the instructions here: http://www.papiermache.co.uk/gallery/join/

You're free to send any image you'd like to use for your gallery photo.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Russ

#4 2009-01-14 19:31:01

Belinda-san

CatPerson wrote:

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I don't know if a photo is required, so I sent an email to the owner of this site, Jackie.

Where are you in the world, Belinda?  I'm thinking Japan, but...  Would you mind adjusting your profile to indicate what country you're in?  When responding to specific questions about materials or brands, it's easier to just glance to the left to your name and location to see how to word a response.  Just your country is fine.  As you can see from the gallery, we have participants from all over the world here.

Just from my boundless curiosity, what have you been working on?

Sue

Hej

I live in sweden. I´ve seen that there are others from sweden here to. Fun!
And that there are people from all over the world on this site - but you are recommended on many, many sites too. All roads leads to paper mache uk smile

I have just started with PM, but I like making animals in live size. I started with kopying others - some from this site.
Is it ok to put those things in the gallery?

I have not yet made a giraff - what is it with giraffes? Everybody makes them smile

Thank you so much, ross, for your answer.

#5 2009-01-16 04:24:04

CatPerson

I don't think people would mind, unless you're copying their work and selling it.

I think people make giraffes because they look friendly.  And, of course, there's always the challenge of making something tall that can stand on its own without falling over.

Sue

#6 2009-01-19 11:01:38

dopapier

I suppose that if we counted the number of giraffes and cats that have been displayed on this site we would have a high number.  My guess is that cats would outnumber their long-necked counterpart.  Perhaps we should start a trend in meercats or chipmunks or something.  You notice that eyes figure highly in all these creatures.  It's probably the "Ahhhhh" factor!
It's always nice to have a picture of the person but, as Russ says, you don't have to.  You'll probably notice that many of us have a personal photo on the gallery but use an avatar in the Forum, something to represent us.  I used to use a weird alien ball that had eyes all over it but now go for the gentler (the "Ahhhh" factor?) giraffe head.
This is a site to learn from and to share.  From the 'hits' count on the articles and tutorials, it is looked at by many thousands of people all over the world.  As Sue says, avoid copying for commercial purposes but try as many approaches and styles as you want.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#7 2009-01-19 12:51:04

Belinda-san

Chipmunks are qute. I can go for that smile

I have a question about chicken wire. How can I form it?
I have tried (with the horse-head) but I find it difficult. Are there any tricks or tips?

#8 2009-01-19 20:24:31

Mothr@

Hi, I try to pull loops apart if I want a wider form and squeeze them together to make a narrower, make a round hole more oval-shaped to change the form of your sculpture, pull and squeeze single holes in the net to change the form. Chickenwire with bigger holes is much easier to shape. Heja Sverige!

#9 2009-01-19 21:16:43

CatPerson

Yes, the larger chicken wire is easier to shape.  But the smaller the project, the more difficult it is to work with.  I find that it is most useful for designs with simple surfaces (squares, angles, columns) or large designs that don't have complicated protrusions (simple large rocks, large heads).  Keep the basic shape as simple as you can.  Details can be added with papier mache or PM-covered pieces of foam.

Many ideas are better formed by using waste styrofoam or even wadded newspaper in a bag, shaped by squeezing and wrapping with spool wire, string or masking tape. Or styrofoam packing pellets in a bag, shaped the same way.

If you want to build up pieces of styrofoam, you can glue them together with hot glue or adhesive designed for use with foam insulation paneling. Most adhesives will eat into and melt foam products. 

You can also buy sheets of foam insulation and stack and glue layers of it together, then carve it to the basic shape you want.

Sue

#10 2009-01-19 22:39:50

newmodeller
Website

I also use rabbit wire (it has smaller holes) and wear a pair of gardening gloves when shaping it.  That way I can mould and squeeze the wire without sticking the sharp ends into my palms.

I also keep a pair of wire cutters and a pair of pliers handy for cutting off stray edges and twisting together ends.

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#11 2009-01-21 02:10:26

CatPerson

Oooooh!  Isn't that hard on the hands, even with gloves?

No one can hurt themselves faster than I can with chicken wire (or falling down stairs).

Sue

#12 2009-01-25 17:37:26

dopapier

For joining bits of insulation board (Styrofoam) I've used the following: -

Paint the surfaces with diluted PVA and allow to dry.  Spread some neat PVA on the joint, press together and leave to dry.  This is firm enough for most work.

If you hold two pieces of foam together and push two thin wooden rods through at different angles, burying the ends underneath the surface, it should hole firmly.

Paint the surfaces with diluted PVA.  When dry, bind round with masking tape.

Any more, folks?

DavidO

I'm a PM addict

Board footer