HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Papier mache hardness (please answer soon)?

Papier mache hardness (please answer soon)?

#1 2008-12-12 23:11:16

PianoArt

Papier mache hardness (please answer soon)?

I'm making a few papier mache things for Christmas presents. I'm wondering if you have to keep applying layers until your papier mache object is completely rock hard. For example, one of my papier mache projects has a bunch of layers, but if I press my finger into it it still gives way a little bit (if I press hard enough). It's just I have to finish all of these before Christmas because they're the presents I'm giving to my mom and my sister. It's hard, but not like crazy cement hard. Is that okay, or should I keep adding layers? Are you PM projects usually completely hard, that if you press your finger into it with a lot of force it doesn't move a little bit? I know I can use gesso, but I really don't want to on these projects. Also, can you use oil paints on PM?

Sorry for the rush, but I just have to get going on these things! I am Miss Procrastination herself! smile

Last edited by PianoArt (2008-12-12 23:12:18)

#2 2008-12-13 14:19:49

Patraw
Website

Re: Papier mache hardness (please answer soon)?

Whether the papier mache needs to be completely hard or not is entirely dependent on what your trying to do.  But, yes, the more layers you add to a project, the harder/tougher the final result tends to be.  Your project might still be soft because it's not completely dry yet too, but, if not, then, as you suspect, it probably doesn't have enough layers.  A little bit of give is probably okay, some of my projects have areas like that, a little soft, but not so much so that you're going to squish it without applying significant pressure.

I've used oil paints on papier mache before and it seemed to work okay--thinner pieces of PM seemed to get a little "rubbery" from it though (absorbed some of the oil maybe?).

#3 2008-12-14 05:07:02

CatPerson

What kind of paper and adhesive did you use?  Soft papers like paper towels tend to keep a certain amount of give.

How thick are they now?

Drying can be assisted by putting them in front of a small fan.  The air that passes over the surfaces takes moisture with it.

Although oil paints may do all right (I've never used them), acrylics might be more suitable, and will dry faster.

Sue

#4 2008-12-14 16:42:06

dopapier

Six layers of newsprint should give quite a hard surface (like the papier mache imitation fruit you can buy that is often made in India).  Obviously you can do more if you want.
Make sure the paper itself is not spongy and that you are using good sticky paste.  Try pasting a couple of pieces together.  When they are dry, you should not be able to separate them.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Papier mache hardness (please answer soon)?

Board footer