HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Rule #1: There are no PAPIER MACHE POLICE !

Rule #1: There are no PAPIER MACHE POLICE !

#1 2008-08-02 21:55:46

CatPerson

Rule #1: There are no PAPIER MACHE POLICE !

Maria mentioned that fact to me in a private email.

It was such a great observation that I had to pass it on.

Don't go crazy trying to make your work perfect. Especially when you're just beginning (or beginning again).  If you ever did anything perfectly when you were just beginning doing it, it was an accident, trust me.

Make a few simple experimental projects. You probably worked in papier mache when you were a kid. You may need to be reminded (through experience) what works and what doesn't.

Why would you expect your PM work to be perfect when very few other things in your life are? Do your best and learn, and you will improve. But you won't improve without doing. (That's a fact, and not just my opinion.)

Dive in!  Just go ahead and do it.  It's paper -- if it's really horrible, you can burn it, bury it, trash it, hack it to pieces, turn it into something else, start over, or save it as a reminder of when you weren't quite so good as when you're producing museum-quality stuff a few years from now.

Rule #2:  You Will Learn More From Your Mistakes Than From Your Successes.

Nothing imprints as indelibly in your mind like making a really BAAAAAD mistake. Revel in it, because you aren't likely to make THAT mistake again. EVER. But rest assured that there are many others waiting to be made.  Just don't get all caught up in self-recriminations of not being perfect. You're NOT perfect, so get used to it. Try for your best, not perfection. Then do another one and improve on it.

Sue

#2 2008-09-22 23:56:25

burrumgirl

Re: Rule #1: There are no PAPIER MACHE POLICE !

Hi Sue, Not only are you a hive of information, (I read your link to preserving newspaper in the forum), but you are also full of very good advice, where would we be without you.   Thanks heaps.
Lesley

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Rule #1: There are no PAPIER MACHE POLICE !

Board footer