HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Life Expectancy

#1 2008-09-06 23:20:13

js21203

Life Expectancy

We are new to this. My wife is going to be making one for our son's first birthday. How long will one last using flour and water as a paste? Will more layers of newspaper make it last longer? His party will be in about 6 weeks. She is going to start making one now, since she has never done it before. If she gets one to come out right, we would like to keep it, but if it is likely it won't last 6 weeks, she'll start later. Thanks for any advice. John Smithpeters

#2 2008-09-07 03:48:25

CatPerson

Re: Life Expectancy

What is she making?

If she's making something like a pinata for the party, it will certainly last several months, and probably years.

Furniture and objects made from papier mache in the 1700s and 1800s can still be found.

Sue

#3 2008-09-07 17:55:58

dopapier

Why not treat your wife to the book on Papier Mache Art and Design which is advertised on the home page?   If she is making a start, this will give all the advice she needs and may well provide the basis of a craft she can enjoy with her son as the years go by.  You can also have a lot of things that friends and family can appreciate.
See the 'Roman helmet' in my gallery (David Osborne) for the sort of thing young boys really enjoy when they are a bit older.
Also have a look at Scott A. Stoll's gallery.  They do a lot as a family, especially for Hallowe'en.
Several of the artists in this list began by making things for children or grandchildren - and became addicted.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#4 2008-09-08 23:35:37

js21203

Thanks for such a fast reply. CatPerson, yes, shes making a pinata, something halloween-ish since his birthday party will be October 25th and quite of few of his cousins and whatnot that will be there are 2 and up. I had no idea something home made would last that long. She's using flour and water with a little salt, I believe, added. She read somewhere salt would help with odor, or something. Sorry, I can't remember exactly what it was she said.

DavidO, thanks for the fast reply also. We may look into buying that book. Since she's not working right now (dang, child care costs a lot!! Hehe) she's just trying to do some stuff on her own and save money. We'll take a look at your gallery later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again. John Smithpeters

#5 2008-09-13 16:07:00

butterbee

I recommend checking out your local library for papier-mache books as well!

Board footer