HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Metallic Paints - if you use them, where do you buy them?

Metallic Paints - if you use them, where do you buy them?

#1 2008-03-11 18:02:12

trixyinaz

Metallic Paints - if you use them, where do you buy them?

I don't recall coming across any acrylic metallic paints and I would love to use some for my pieces. 

Is there some shimmer stuff you can add to your existing acrylic paints to make them metallic/shimmer?  I don't want glitter...what I'm thinking of almost looks like the paint is pearlized.

Thanks for any tips.

#2 2008-03-11 18:28:22

newmodeller
Website

Re: Metallic Paints - if you use them, where do you buy them?

I have occasionally used the craft acrylics.
http://www.crafty-devils.com/craft/249- … -paint.asp
this is the kind of stuff I mean (there are several different brands).  It is more liquid than tube acrylic.  They usually offer a gold, silver and metallic blue and red (although it is more glittery than truly metallic).

I know that Suzie Oldfield uses a pearlised finish paint that she gets from DIY stores in the uk. 

If you wanted a truly metallic finish then it might be possible to use Hammerite
http://www.hammerite.com/
but having never tried it I would not even like to guess what it would be like on papiermache.  It is nasty stuff and needs chemical solvents as cleaner and thinners.

Alternatively you might want to try a model shop, the sort of place that sells kits for planes, boats or trains.  they often have specially formulated paints for certain finishes, also they can be useful for particular varnishes.

Best of luck,Charlotte

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#3 2008-03-11 19:48:32

Moni

I use metallic acrylic paints on many of my projects. They are available at most craft stores in the US, I usually buy mine at Michaels. They usually cost a little bit more than regular acrylics but they are worth it. Here is a link to my gallery page,
http://www.papiermache.co.uk/gallery/artist/181/
the star at the bottom of the page is painted with the silver acrylic paint with a black undercoat for depth. I have had people come up on my porch to look at them because they thought they were real metal stars. Hope this helps...
Moni

My cat is my best friend!

#4 2008-03-12 15:10:06

trixyinaz

Thanks.

Monica - I was just on your gallery a few days ago....hysterical!  I was just at Michaels and will have to look again.  What brand are your metallics?

#5 2008-03-13 00:15:50

Moni

Thanks, glad you like it! I think they are folk art brand but most brands have metallics in their line of colors. I usually buy whatever's on sale....Moni

My cat is my best friend!

#6 2008-03-20 20:38:25

handitak

Golden, fine art acrylics make a vast array of metallic paints. Some of them are pearlized, and change depending on what you layer them over. Some of them even include chunky pieces of metal in them as part of the paint.

They run between $11 to $20 a tube though.

I have several of them (given to me as a gift) and they last a long time and a little goes a long way because they have a much higher ratio of pure pigment than craft acrylics.

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Metallic Paints - if you use them, where do you buy them?

Board footer