HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

liquid starch

#1 2007-12-27 22:19:39

Moni

liquid starch

Has anyone out there used liquid starch for paper mache? If so, how successful was it? Did you do anything special to it or just use it straight from the bottle? Hope this question hasn't been asked before, I looked through the old forums and didn't see it.
Thanks, Moni

My cat is my best friend!

#2 2007-12-27 22:27:59

Moni

Re: liquid starch

Never mind. Duh, I just discovered the search "button" for the forums and found several listings for liquid starch. If anyone has anything new or helpful about starch I would still appreciate hearing it.
Thanks, Moni

#3 2007-12-28 01:29:28

CatPerson

Starch is one of those old standbys -- better than flour/water, and not quite as good as (IMO) methyl cellulose (which is hard to find and rather expensive). 

I was reading a book on making Mexican pinatas, and an old pinata maker said starch was preferred, but flour was cheaper.

I know when we did PM as kids, the attitude of the teacher always seemed to be "thicker is better", but I have since discovered that that is not true.  With starch (which can vary a bit among brands), I usually mix it half/half with water.

The one thing I don't care for with it is the tendency toward brittleness when dry, producing small flakes. If you have thin "wings" (etc) that may flex, it may be a minor problem, but once it's painted and sealed, that really isn't a problem.

Starch is hygroscopic (it absorbs water), so you will want to seal it in humid climates. If you are painting your project with acrylics, that should provide enough of a moisture barrier to protect from moisture in the atmosphere, but it won't be good enough against rain outdoors.

But it is still a very usable adhesive, and doesn't attract vermin.

Sue

#4 2007-12-28 22:51:53

Moni

Thanks for the info Sue. I think some experimentation is in order.

Board footer