HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Question about Paper Casting

#1 2007-10-16 19:59:03

Psycho_Acolyte
Website

Question about Paper Casting

Hey everyone!  How are you (and your projects) doing?  I've got a few questions about paper casting. ^^;;

Okay, I did research about it and I liek how easy it sounded. Most of the instructions tell you that glue is not necessary. But I'm wondering, what's the difference between paper casting and paper pulp?  A lot of the websites I went to stated that I could use the paper casting method to create paper relief instead of putting it into a mold.  How effective is that without glue?  Would it fall apart?

Also, can any type of paper be used for it? Liek magazine paper, glossy paper, business paper? Or does it only work well for one type? Would sticker paper work? I know it won't work well for paper mache because it would probably repel the glue, but paper casting doesn't require glue, so I wonder if it'd work or not.

How well does a mix of paper made with the paper casting method stick to items? 

And if it's possible, would I be able to mix paper with cardboard to make it a stronger mix?

I'm sure that there are more questions I have, but I can't remember them at the moment. However, these questions are the ones that bother me the most before I begin working with paper casting. 

Thanks for reading!
-PA XD

Last edited by Psycho_Acolyte (2007-10-16 20:16:43)

"You are weak like the salted slug and your mind is slow like a sloth on sake."
"HUH?!"

#2 2007-10-16 21:18:38

CatPerson

Re: Question about Paper Casting

There is only one slight difference between paper pulp and paper casting, and that is mainly a matter of opinion. You can cast any type of paper pulp that will hold the impression, but some people feel that Paper Casting (note caps) should only be made from pulp that has never been formed into paper. Personally, I consider that something of an elitist opinion.

It is true that you can use an adhesive (cellulose adhesives may be the better type), but you can do it with nothing but pulp and water. 

Actually, much of the commercial papier mache made during its height of popularity in England used no adhesive.

"A lot of the websites I went to stated that I could use the paper casting method to create paper relief instead of putting it into a mold."

I'm not sure if this is what you meant to say. Paper casting is pulp that is pressed into a mold. If you wanted to drain more water out of it to the point you had a clay-like material that you could form by hand, that would be pulp papier mache.

Paper casting usually requires a mold of some sort, as far as I've ever known.  The pulp is often drained on a porous surface, then applied to the mold while still quite wet, and the excess moisture removed by gently patting with clean, dry rags. When almost dry, the mold is removed.

The type of pulp you would require for casting would have to be fairly fine and soft to get an accurate cast from the mold. Cotton paper fibers would be ideal. I've never heard of anyone advising use of magazine-type or other treated paper for casting. Cardboard or sticker paper, never. Soft and fibrous are the qualities you need.

Without adhesive, you shouldn't need a mold release.  With adhesive, you probably wood, depending upon the mold surface.

Whenever you want to try something new like this, it would be best to make up a small batch and experiment with it, rather than going directly into a big project and find a major flaw. I once did a paper casting into a metal form, using cotton paper fiber mixed with methyl cellulose. Busy with other things, I forgot about it until it was completely dry. Dry and STUCK. I couldn't even pry it out without damaging the mold. So I just had to fill the mold with water and let it soak enough so I could re-process the fiber. At least I could do that with the methyl cellulose adhesive. I would have been in trouble with a more permanent adhesive.
Start small.

There quite a nice book on basic paper casting that is in many libraries:  The Complete Guide to Paper Casting by Arnold Grummer.

Sue

#3 2007-10-18 18:49:53

Psycho_Acolyte
Website

Thanks for all the answers Sue! I'm going to experiment and see how well the different paper types work with it. I'll probably just end up using the pulp method instead of casting, but I'll see how it goes. : D

Thankie!

"HUH?!"

#4 2007-10-21 20:52:39

Psycho_Acolyte
Website

Random question:  Would fabric scraps in small amounts help any with paper projects?  Such as casting, pulp (pulp especially), etc?  >.> I have a lot of tiny fabric scraps that I'd liek to find a use for and just wondering ^^

"HUH?!"

#5 2007-10-25 13:50:10

dopapier

Fabric pieces can always add strength, providing they can absorb the adhesive, whether that is added or a residual part of the paper you pulp.  Therefore organic fabric is much better than synthetic.
You can make your own paper or pulp from organic materials - leaves, stalks etc.  It can be amazingly strong.   It is best to follow a book because it means boiling, mashing, removing acid levels etc.  This pulp, pressed into a mold should work quite well.  I think I would use a few layers to aid drying and increase strength.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

Board footer